Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

should i use any filters for viewing planets?

Good thing about the Neodymium and the Skywatcher (which looks to be a Neodymium too) is they do not alter the colour at all unlike a normal LPR that will give a green hue to the view.

In a previous thread someone reported getting much better results on the moon with an LPR filter. In the presence of light pollution, an LPR might get you just a little extra contrast, without upsetting the colour balance too horrendously.

I have never tried it myself (yet)

I believe that was myself. I have a moon filter and a SW LPF and honestly hands down i have to say that i prefer observing a full moon with just the LPF. Its cuts down the brightness (as does the moon filter) and really gives a bit more contrast between light and dark features while maintaining a much more pleasing natural tone.

The SW LPF is violet in colour but when observing the moon you really do not see it. Its a very natural shade of Moon.....................the moon filter slightly tints the natural colour.

Just MY observation. Everyones eyes are different.

Archived