NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

If you had the choice....?

....and were after a Mak,

MK66, Alter 603, ( both 2nd hand), Bosma MC6 or Skymax Pro 180 ?

and why ?

I'm hoping to make a firm decision and purchase within the nxt few weeks ready for Autumn and beyond imaging planets and the Moon.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy, this will be interesting! The MK67 was one of my dream scopes before I ever got a scope, and I've still never tried one! The 180 is a whole lot of scope for the money. Is the optical quality that inferior to the others? Will it show in planetary images? I don't know. It certainly is a great big pile of aperture in a readily-usable EQ-mounted tube that makes it fantastic for high power viewing.

An add-on modification to the focuser can easily be sorted, negating what image shift there is, if any...

The 180s can be had dirt-cheap too if you hang around the classifieds pages and swoop quickly for the kill.

Wish I had more knowledge of the others so I could be unbiased.

I've always been keen on the Russian Intes as well, have only heard good reports but as Gaz said the focuser lets them down, if you could budget for a Moonlite as well then I'll go with the MK.

TBH it's really doing my noodle in- so, I have an heq5, it's not going to change for a 6, the 180 I reckon I could just get away with with a 325g cam on the end of it but....

The Russian Maks are reknowned for their build & optics and zero image shift ( big plus!). I 'd be more than happy to go for a 6" Rumak if I thought there were overall advantages over the 180.

Gawd I am so stuck !!

PS the Bosma MC6 is also a serious contender, especially when I could it delivered for 460.00 !!

Interesting ! I think GazOC might agree with you too over that. Don't get me wrong, I'd be well chuffed with a 180, just wish I had the funds when they were cheaper ie prior to becoming Black.

I shall continue the quest

It's a seriously bad itch I have ATM tho :)

I'm completely biased. I owned the Intes M603 for almost 5 years. It was and may always be, my all time favourite scope. Pin sharp, superb contrast, nice focuser, resonable fov as only f10, built like T34 tank.

TBH it's really doing my noodle in- so, I have an heq5, it's not going to change for a 6, the 180 I reckon I could just get away with with a 325g cam on the end of it but....

The Russian Maks are reknowned for their build & optics and zero image shift ( big plus!). I 'd be more than happy to go for a 6" Rumak if I thought there were overall advantages over the 180.

Gawd I am so stuck !!

PS the Bosma MC6 is also a serious contender, especially when I could it delivered for 460.00 !!

Don't quote me on this but when I was looking into buying my 7" Skywatcher, which is a Gregorian not a Rumak, opinion seemed to be that that difference between the 2 designs was nothing on-axis and, at f15, minimal off-axis. I guess thats why the Intes Maks can get down to f10 while the Skywatchers are f12-f15??

At f15 you just don't see the outer FOV where Rumak has the clear advantage over the Gregorian.

A friend of mine had an Intes scope but it was Mak Newt cannot remember which one but it looked awesome, built really well and weighed a ton.

I've always wanted a MN86 like this one.

post-13619-133877449666_thumb.jpg

I'm a big fan of Russian scopes. I had a MN68 which was suberb but a big lump to hump around, I sold that and got a MN56, much more manageable.

I've got 2 of the smaller SW maks 90 & 127 and I'm really surprised at how good they are, the 127 gives the OMC140 a good run for the money and that's a 1/6th wave scope.

I understand that cooling can be an issue with the 180 but it's still one of the main contenders. The choice might be whatever comes up first at a decent price.

Archived