Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FILM CAMERA EXPERIMENT

LITTLE COL

hi guys , tonight if the weather keeps up i might try using my film camera for star imaging for the first time , only problem is i do not get a very extensive view were i am ( Polaris and Cassiopeia mainly ) any advise so that we might get some picks for us all to take a look at.

galaxy/nebula/stars which is the easiest

e.p 25mm/10mm / barlow skywatcher130

also exposure time????

Taking film images through a scope is really hard.

I would suggest something like the double cluster - below Cassiopeia. Attach th camera to the scope without the camera lens or Eyepeice.

Focus as best you can and then go for 20 seconds. Take a few images slightly either side of what you think is in perfect focus, and increase the exposures.

You should get something worth looking at.

I would suggest using colour slide film though. Less for the lab to screw up!

Ant

Hi Col,

Is your EQ2 driven so it can track the stars? Also, does the telescope have a camera tripod thread on top of the tube rings?

If yes to both, i think you would be better off putting the camera piggyback on the telescope and taking a widefield image using the standard camera lens. Point the camera in the direction of Cassiopeia and experiment with a few exposures running upto a few minutes in duration. And you should bag the Galaxy M31 and the Double Cluster.

You'll need to know how to roughly polar align the EQ2 mount to make it worthwhile though.

It would definitely be worth your while putting the camera on a static camera tripod. Using the standard, point the camera at Polaris. Set the aperture on the lens to f8, and focus to infinity. And then leave the shutter open for 15mins. Perhaps try a longer one at 30 mins.

Hope that helps

Russ

Archived