NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greetings from Orkney

Specman

Hello all,

Been looking at the forum for some weeks now and finally subscribed, I really enjoy reading all the great posts. I've been facinated by the stars and the universe since I was a child and I can't believe its taken me so long to buy a telescope and finally take up the hobby! Loving every minute of it!

Many thanks to Steve Graham of First Light Optics for the great customer service and being so honest and helpful in the purchase of my first scope.

Mark

Greetings, I'm sure that you are the second Ork to have registered in the last few days, are you planning an Orkney Astro Society?

The 2nd this year, the third over the years :), but I have since left Grimbister :D

Welcome to SGL Mark.

Archie

Hi Mark, :):hello2:

A big welcome to the forum and I hope you've had chance to use your kit. As a newbie myself, I'm always interested to know what other newbies have bought and what helped them make their choice.

Liked to also know what you've had chance to see and what's impressed you so far?

Clear skies :D

James

HI Mark, welcome to the forum. I fairly new to this as well. Good luck with the new telescope. I'd imagine that your sky is pretty clear of any light pollution. I'm in Stirling which isn't too bad but I was up in the Fort William area last week and was amazed with the amount of stars that I could see. It was quite confusing at first!

Thanks for the warm welcome, after a lot of research and consideration I opted for the Celestron Nexstar 4SE as my first scope, with a Revelation eyepiece set recommended to me by Steve from FLO. Its a great set, although the field of view in the 9mm Plossl is a little tight, especially if you wear spectacles. I all got a power tank and a dew shield as part of an offer and its been a godsend!

The first night out I struggled with the scope alignment in the dark, but this was my own stupid fault as I set the date wrong. The Celestron uses US date so 7th May 2010 should have been 5/7/2010. My scope thought it was the 5th July!

As soon as I realised it aligned perfectly and I had my first views of Saturn in the 25mm eye piece, I was gob smacked WOW! I've spent most nights looking at it since, its been amazing.

The 4SE is awesome, the alignment is pretty close and the more time I took to level the scope and centre my alignment stars the better it has performed. I tried a solar system alignment the other night and it held Saturn pretty much in the field of view.

I want to try the pole star wedge alignment next but its a bit more complicated. The instructions are not so clear, guess once you have done it a few times it will be easy.

I've got a Neximage CCD camera and I caught a shot of Saturn, however its over exposed and out of focus because I only had a 2x Barlow which puts it beyond the scopes max power. I've just purchase a 5x Barlow and the Neximage reducer lens (equal to a 11mm) so its upwards and onwards.

Everything is so new and working in the dark under red light trying to read instructions is a challenge, but all good fun.

Nice meeting you! Clear Skies :D

Mark

Archived