Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimating a Skywatcher 130P

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what the best bit of kit to purchase is. If I'm going to be collimating in the dark should I go for a laser one or is a normal Cheshire sufficient? I don't want to spend the earth but yet I don't want it to be poor quality. Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

you'll get lots of differing views on this. my preferred method is (cheap) laser for the secondary and barlowed laser for the primary. I also have a cheapie Cheshire which I do a quick check after using the laser but it's always spot on.

if you go for a Cheshire you pretty much need nothing else with such a short tube (maybe with the exception of a collimation cap (you can make one yourself from a film cannister with a central hole in the end - about 2mm).

Astro Baby's guide is an excellent start but google 'barlowed laser' and you'll get a lot of other resources too.

if you get a laser then make sure it's one that can be collimated as they can arrive out of collimation which obviously makes getting a correct scope collimation somewhat tricky. Collimation of the laser is simply a matter of putting it in a V block - basically something with an angle to stop it turning left and right and shining the dot on a wall maybe 20 feet or more away. if the dot does not form/describes a circle as you turn and is steady you have a good laser collimation. if it forms a circle you need to adjust using the (usually) three grub screws on the laser body. it's easier when you have the thing in your hand.

once you have the hand of collimation it takes maybe 5 mins max but your scope should not need collimating as often as say a 12" dob - I do mine every time I use it.

If you want "the best one" then the Hotech laser collimator fills the bill. But it's around £100-£127 depending on whether you get the 2" SCA adaptor.

But the other methods/tools mentioned above are just as valid and a darned sight cheaper - you can even use just a plastic dust cap with a hole in the center of it.

You should be able to collimate ( or get very close) in the daylight.

Makes it much easier. The Collicap or the Cheshire will do the job.

When you take it out at night look at the slightly out of focus star image and tweek the secondary screws to bring the doughnut central and remove flares from the star image. That's about it!

Ken

Archived