Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR Focus..

Has anyone got this piece of software, if so is it any good.

http://www.dslrfocus.com/

I've had a look and am considering it?

Works out at £23.66!

Also the image capture software for the D60 only controls the shutter and bog all else...Anyone know if I download the software for say the 10D or the 350D which has greater control over the camera if that will work with the D60?

Greg

Greg when you say " the image capture software for the D60 only controls the shutter and bog all else"

are you talking about the software that came with the camera?

Yes Jamie,

I went to the Canon site and looked at the other Image Capture programs for the other Canon DSLR's and they are more in depth.

I tried downloading the one for the Eos D1 which was the most comprehensive and all I got after installation was an error message when I connected the camera!

After reading the FAQ's each different camera has a sligthly different image capture program :insects1:

I had trouble with parallel port, but of course, WinXP does not support parallel ports really!!

So, switched to a serial cable (and a USB to serial adapter - all from Coxy) and your Mum has a brother named Robert!!!

TIP: For Canon users, make sure you set the cam to JPEG for focus - it does not work with RAW files!!!

• 9 months later...

Just got my long exposure cable from astronimiser and trying to get everything setup now... I've got a usb-serial converter, its all hooked up fine but for some reason, the shutter isn't being triggered in long exposure mode? When I setup the port in dslrfocus, it tested fine and I enabled it, but nothings happening?

Any tips/advice?

Thanks,

Grant

did you enable the serial port in DSLRFocus? Camera Control -> Bulb Exposure Setup -> Port Setup ... select the correct port and then "test port". Be aware that if you plug the USB to serial converter into a different USB port on your laptop, the COM number will change... seriously!

yep, done all that, clicked test, that then let me click the enable button, so all enabled but when I press the "Press Shutter" button, nowt happens?

Do I need any special settings for the usb-serial adaptor (bits per second etc..) and do I need any special settings on the camera?

Cheers,

Grant

nothing special on the camera AFAIK, and RTS for shutter press signal, select the correct COM port, test port, enable serial... go...

the cable is only used in bulb mode for exposure more than 30 seconds, and is not used in "focus" mode at all.

You absolutely sure you have the right COM port number? in device manager, if you pull the USB2Serial adater out, then plug it back in again, go check the COM port number for the COM device that just appeared

OK, two things to check:

#1 - make sure the cable is FULLY inserted into the camera body (been there, done that, had a frustrating night because of it)

#2 - if you are just testing, and you have the lens still attached, ensure you have set the lens to manual focus, or else sometimes the shutter will not fire (especially if you still have the lens cap on)

Personally, I am using ImagesPlus v3 beta Camera control from now on. IP is being split into seperate image processing and camera control apps for v3, and after playing with IPCC, I`m not going back to DSLRFocus (which hasnt had any updates since late 2005)

no joy, tried it in a different computer with its own serial port and still no joy... beginning to think the cables duff :D

With the camera, does it need to be in manual mode but the remote control setting turned on?

Also, with the com ports, do they need any special settings?

Been doing this for about 2 1/2 hours now!! agghhhrrr

Just contact Astronimiser, I'm pretty sure its a cable problem - I've tried it in two computers, one with onboard serial the other using usb-serial, I've tried it in dslr focus and maxdslr I've also tried lots of different settings with the com ports etc.. and no joy...

Yep, its works fine for exposures under 30 seconds using the usb but when I have the usb + serial cable to do long exposures, nothing happens...

Andy is sending me a new one :D

Archived