Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What else to see with a 90mm ref?

Astorix

Morning all!

Last night i managed to get a great nights viewing in with me and my brother! we saw Saturn for the first time and i have never been so amazed in my life! i couldnt quite believe it! i also managed to see M44, mars, m13 ( although was just a grey smudge ;) ) hopefully that was the m13! and loads more open clusters!

My question though, tonight we are meant to have another clear sky so was wondering can any 1 tell me some good sites to see with a 90mm refractor atm? the view from my back garden is some what limited and means i can clearly see Ursa major, Casseopia, Auriga, hercules (I think, its hard to tell) so any one got any good ideas? my best views will be North and slightly east and west :)

all comments will be appreciated!

Stellarium will offer clues as to what is there for you, but if you can see Cassy, then you should be able to tease out some good stuff in that sort of area.

I'm hoping for some clear skies tonight, but it clouded over as the sun set, so maybe an early night and an early start in the am. If so I'll try to find Uranus again (not available in the UK I'm afraid) and see what Jupiter is up to.

If clear skies tonight I'll be having another poke around Virgo and maybe see if that was 4 Vesta I saw the other night in Leo. Saturn, will of course, be recieving a visit.

Well as your north is good have a read of this thread as we have a comet visable, these are rare beasties so really worth giving it a bash, I will be if seeing is good tonight

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/103804-comet-c-2009-k5-mcnaught.html

Also see if you can pick out Saturns mon Titan.

Mizar in Ursa Major is a twin , but right over head so might be difficult.(technically better viewing as your looking through less atmosphere....try telling that to the pain in the neck you get !!)

there are also two galaxys around there, but that might be a bit tougher.

try m81/82 in ursa major, they will both fit in the same field of view, might be very dim in a 90mm.

also theres a nice double in lyra

rich

Yes, the double double in Lyra is an excellent target for the 90. I got a beautiful split of both pairs with my 90.

Also in Lyra not far from double double is M57, the Ring Nebula. This showed up well in the 90.

And from there to another double in Cygnus. It's the bottom star of the cross and called Albireo. Arguably the most beautiful double in the sky. Looks fab in the 90, just checkout the colour contrast between the two stars.

M3, another Globular cluster for you, also looks good. It's not far from Ursa Major.

Archived