Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Really Struggling......

....with whether to go for a Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro on an EQ6 PRO Goto or the Skywatcher Explorer 250P DS on the same mount. :);)

I understand refractors are better for DSOs and reflectors are better for planetary viewing etc (assuming I have these around the right way lol.)

The trouble is I want to do both. That is I want to view the planets and moon etc but I also want to view DSOs with a view to photographing them in the future. Having said that I potentially do have the option to mount my DSLR with a range of lenses from 10mm-500mm direct to the mount and presumably I could get some useful shots with that assuming accurate polar alignment etc?

So I would be very grateful for any opinions out there on which route to go down, its a pretty big purchase for me and I want to make sure I have all the facts and opinions before hand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend an 8 SCT such as the Celestron 8SE. Good aperture for observing DSO's and good on planets, mount it on a wedge and you can do astro photography. Only drawback is the narrow field of view you get with these scopes due to the long focul length.

Unfortunately no one scope can do it all each has its pros and cons and you may find to achieve what you really want to do requires two scopes. If it is to be two go for the Evostar you suggested for photography and a dobsonian reflector (as big as you can afford and handle) for visual observations of DSO's also dobs are pretty damn good on planets.

If the EQ6 Pro is within budget, definitely buy that - it will stand you in good stead for finding and viewing the faint DSOs with its goto capabilities and subsequently to image them.

As for scopes .... for viewing DSOs, aperture is what matters. Since big refractors cost a fortune, you'll probably do better buying a big reflector such as the 250P you are considering.

You can piggyback your camera on your scope and take images that way but in the long run you will probably want to "use the telescope as the lens" and attach the camera directly to the focuser. You can do that with the 250P but it is easier to learn the ropes with a small refractor such as the ED80 you are considering.

So, what to do? Have a look through this forum for EQMOD references. In a nutshell, you can control the scope from a computer rather than the handset (assuming you have a suitable laptop) and allow you to buy the EQ6 Syntrek rather than the EQ6 Pro Synscan. That will save you £90 but you'll need to buy an interface (eg the HitecAstro EQDIR) for about £45. It is a much better set up.

Buy the 250P and enjoy observing and try piggybacking the camera. Meanwhile, save up for a small refractor for imaging with - they come up on the For Sale section quite often. You may need a big aperture to see a DSO but long exposures will allow your camera to record spectacular images even with a small refractor.

I asked a similar question to you when I joined and was advised to buy two scopes - I didn't. After I learned what was what ..... I now have five!

Mike

PS Put your bank manager on alert.

I understand refractors are better for DSOs and reflectors are better for planetary viewing etc (assuming I have these around the right way lol.)

The 250p will do a decent job on planets if it is collimated right and you have the correct eyepieces, and it will give you huge aperture which is the most important factor for viewing deep sky objects

When it comes to using your DSLR, the 250p will be a pretty demanding scope to use. It will have to be really well collimated, and you will need to have good auto-guiding to get long exposures. It will also take a battering from gusts of wind if it is exposed.

In that sense, the ED80 would be an easier scope to being imaging with

It's possible if you start of with the 250p to convert it to a dob purely for visual use and then get an ED80 later on for imaging

I entirely agree with Mike. The small apo would be the clear choice for imaging but very limited as a visual tool because of its wee aperture. I'd go for the 250 to start with and use it visually.

I can't really agree that an 8 inch SCT on a wedge would give you much joy for imaging. They are hell to polar align in the field and make heavy demands on your guiding and tracking because of their long focal length. Also, if you buy one, the mount is integral and so can't carry other instruments (other than very small piggybacked refractors.) I feel I made that mistake and would always want to warn you of the problems!

Olly

Hi Guys, many thanks for the quick responses.

Astro_Baby, many thanks for the book reference, ill be sure to pick myself up a copy.

Euan / MikeP many thanks for the advice, I did breifly consider getting one scope to start and then getting another later down the line and it looks like the reflector might be the first one I consider getting. As for budget, both setups are within (just, although I think ill warn my bank manager as you suggest MikeP, lol :))

Many thanks for the word of warning Olly, I must admit I was thinking the same when I read Kris' response. I've kinda ruled out wedges hence looking at a Goto mount of some sort.

Deneb, I appreciate the link, ill be sure to fully read it and digest its contents.

Hey guys, am I being really dumb here?

The Skywatcher Explorer 250P DS OTA - am I right in saying this only comes with one eyepiece - 28mm?

If so then I definitely need to get a set of eye pieces!

Hey guys, am I being really dumb here?

The Skywatcher Explorer 250P DS OTA - am I right in saying this only comes with one eyepiece - 28mm?

If so then I definitely need to get a set of eye pieces!

If FLO's site is correct then it does indeed

It's worth getting a full set, you can get these reasonably cheaply:

Eyepiece Sets - Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit

Hey Euan, thanks for the response. Ive already looked at these eyepieces and some forum threads here too about them and they are down on my list.

I cant wait to get everything now and set it all up, im like a little boy at christmas, lol.

I have both scopes (at least, the celestron equivalent of the refractor) and for visual there is absolutely no comparison - th big newt wins hands down on everything except close bright double stars (and that probably cos I can't collimate it properly). I have no ides about imaging though...

Hmmm, dificult. It depends how serious you are about DSO imaging and you'll probably only find that out when you get your first scope.

The Refractor will be easiest for DSO imaging but not much cop for visual. The 8 inch Alt/AZ SCT or 250 Newt are both good all round visual scopes, although the fork mount SCT will be easier to store and nicer to use as a visual grunt and go scope. You can do decent planetary imaging with the SCT in alt az and you could always de fork the SCT and use it on an EQ if you wanted to.

I'll admit I'm biased because I like my ALT/AZ SCT. I had my MAK on a large EQ before I got the SCT and found it a pain in the **** compared to the ALT AZ goto, but then I'm not a serious imager. I'd say only get a large EQ if you really have the time and patience for DSO imaging.

Hi kniclander / Mogster,

many thanks for the comments. Im not sure how serious ill get about astrophotography I guess time will tell.

Ive just one more question to those who know about the EQ6pro - can I power this by batteries? I only ask as I did purchase an EQ5 about a year ago which turned out to be dud but I could power it by some D cell batteries. The FLO site says power is required for the EQ6 (understandably) and Im thinking of getting a power tank anyway but was just curious as to whether there was a battery pack with it.

Cheers Guys :-D

The EQ6 and HEQ5 are quite sensitive to power... Almost all the problems that I've ever had (or read about) have been power related.

You'll not be able to power and EQ6 from D cells. You want a 17Ah power tank or a decent mains to 12c convertor.

A 17Ah power station should last you all night. Depends what else you have running off of it!

Ant

Hey Ant, thanks for the response.

I have a decent power tank on my shopping list, but was just wondering if it came the option to run off batteries (not that I would consider doing this when observing, more just to check everything is working properly when I get it.)

I have both scopes sat on an EQ6.:)

The 250px works well on both luna/planetary and DSO imaging. but for DSO imaging you will need to guide so you will need a second scope.

I started with the 250px for visual and some Luna and planatry work. and saved up for a second hand 80ED to use as a guide scope and 2nd imaging scope.

Here's two from the 250px

yfronto-albums-mike-deegan-s-yfronto-s-images-picture4838-moon-mosaic2.jpg

yfronto-albums-mike-deegan-s-yfronto-s-images-picture4375-m82-l-ha-rgb-new3.jpg

And one from the 80Ed( though I must admit I I don't use it as much as I should as I find it hard to pull away from the image scale of the 250)

yfronto-albums-mike-deegan-s-yfronto-s-images-picture4960-hh-ha-bestweb.jpg

hey yfronto, I appreciate the images they are a great help.

Its useful to know that a second scope can be used for guiding as I plan to get the 250 reflector first and then the 80ed refractor at a later date. In using the 80ED as a guide scope is there anything additional that is required ie CCD or camera etc?

Yes you will need a guide camera.

I started with a long exposure modded webcam (toucam pro II) and now use a DMK21.

Both can also be used as good planatery/Luna cameras, the moon shot was taken with the DMK21.

Mike.

Archived