Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

old school imaging !

gaelicstorm7

Hi guys,

While on holidays in Ireland, my tripod failed so had to buy a new one (went abit mad and bought a Velbon CF630 and a manfrotto 222 head, seems a cracking setup so far), and whilst in the shop spotted a Mamiya c330, always fancied having a bash at medium format, so bought it ! (think it was abit of a bargain 2 x CF330 bodies 55mm, 80mm, 135mm and 180mm lens's all for £200 ), so plans for the future are to maybe try it for piggyback widefield stuff.

Do any of you guys use anything similar any tips on what films are best to use ?. Any tips most appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan.

post-12879-133877322718_thumb.jpg

I used to use one of those Alan. Nice camera and you seem to have picked up a clean example with the better, more recent optics. I liked the way it slowed the act of taking a picture down to a crawl; it meant I spent more time on each image and left me feeling the 'author of my own work' ... something I tend not to feel with the DSLR!

You might want to check the cost of processing 120 roll film lest you get carried away...

I'd go XP5 or whatever is the current equivalent B&W ISO 400 or more available in B&W. Wouldn't attempt colour until I'd at least got something average with home brewed B&W stuff. This has really got me going now, Alan, I have the processing kit but not the chemicals, if you want to pop round for a play, you're not far away, let me know. I think Jessops might have a customer on monday morning!

Captain Chaos

Glad to hear I've created a bit of a stir ! , I'm pretty exited about this myself too CC, I used to process all my own 35mm stuff, but sold my gear years back

Who know this could become a revolution back to good old film !

Thanks for the comments on the lenses Steve, from what I've seen on the net they seem to be the picks of the bunch, I'm on the lookout now for a 250mm to complete the set !

Cheers

Alan

I know I've got a patterson developing tank and (I think) an Ilford one that I got off my uncle about thirty years ago that have been sat about in the shed for years, it would be nice if they got used as that's why I didn't bin them. Stuff comes in usefull eventually. I'm up for a go at this as you have made me realise that I have the kit for MF widefield astro stuff already lying about gathering dust. I had pondered on getting a 6X6 SLR as they are (Russian ones) reasonably priced, but I'd forgotten about piggybacking and so didn't think about the Lubitel. Perhaps a much needed kick up the butt there, I'll get on with it sometime soon. If you want a go with the developing tanks, let me know, I suspect they're either giving them away or they cost loads these days, either way you're welcome to a loan of them Alan.

Captain Chaos

Archived