Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

13mm Ethos Blackouts?

Hi Guys

Got my first chance to test out my 13mm ethos eyepiece out last night. Love the wide views and its great to have more mag but a wider field than the 20mm plossl.

Just wondering though if anyone else gets blackouts on this. It's getting better the more I view but unless I stay fixed in the right position the view partially blacks out. Is this the kidney bean effect?

You'll easily get the hang of where to place your eye then no more blackouts. Try rolling down the rubber eye guard and getting your eye a little nearer the lens the view is amazing. I don't have the 13mm but I do have the 8 and 17 I love them.

A little with the 8mm but none with the 17mm. My Nagler 12T4 requires near perfect eye placement and if you don't get it right you do get kidney beaning (black holes in the field of view the shape of kidney beans).

I know they give away a little (OK a lot) in field of view terms but this is one reason I love my Radians. You can stick your eye where you like and no kidney beaning that I've noticed. Not had any with my Panoptic either.

I've not looked through much else but would be great to see how they compare with other premium eyepieces. maybe one day a star party for me!

I know they give away a little (OK a lot) in field of view terms but this is one reason I love my Radians. You can stick your eye where you like and no kidney beaning that I've noticed. Not had any with my Panoptic either.

Thats one of the things that really impressed me about the Pentax XW 10mm I tried for a few weeks recently - Ethos-like sharpness and light throughput combined with comfortable, relaxed eye placement. The XW made quite an impression on me, despite being a die-hard Tele Vue fan :D

Thats one of the things that really impressed me about the Pentax XW 10mm I tried for a few weeks recently - Ethos-like sharpness and light throughput combined with comfortable, relaxed eye placement. The XW made quite an impression on me, despite being a die-hard Tele Vue fan :D

they do seem excellent John based on what I have read.

BUT Radians are also quite small and sit well in the Powermate too - suit me better all round. did I say, I like Radians?:p

I agree with Kim though would be great to look through one and I may then change my mind ;)

they do seem excellent John based on what I have read.

BUT Radians are also quite small and sit well in the Powermate too - suit me better all round. did I say, I like Radians?:p

I agree with Kim though would be great to look through one and I may then change my mind ;)

Actually I'd like to try a Radian someday :)

I've owned all the other Tele Vue eyepiece types, but strangely no Radians :D

A pleasure still to come, hopefully :)

I didn't get any blackouts with the 13 Ethos that have visited here.

I have a Radian and it is indeed very easy with long eye relief and the eye distance cup that click stops. It is sharp and clear but a little less exciting, somehow, than our Nagler and Panoptics. You don't seem to feel as involved. Less of the spaceship effect.

Olly

I loved the Ethos, but found eye placement and lack of an edge to the field not to my liking. Pentax's are also cracking - not better but different to the Naglers. But for me, the all round value of the UWAN's from William Optics (AKA Skywatcher Nirvana's) had everything I was looking for.

I've only had my 13mm Ethos out twice but I've had no problems so far.

I had a lot of trouble when I moved from using predominantly orthos to Hyperions though, I was trying to jam my eye into the eyepiece and getting blackouts. Sometimes its not the new eyepiece, its the habits you've got into with your old eyepieces.

Well it may just be the case that you're moving from a single plossl to a widefield EP with longer eye relief. Try keeping your eye a bit away from the eye lens and place your eye in line with the center of the lens (with the the side of your nose brushing the eye guard). That's the position that I found to avoid blackouts on the nagler. My 10mm ethos gives me no trouble at all I can look at it anyway and I won't see blackouts.

Umm

I think I'll try different combinations but I'm sure the more I use it the better it will become.

I feel like I need to view with an eyepactch on!! Must make it easier.

Archived