NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greetings from Gatwick

Meademan

Hello all

I've been lurking in and out of the forums now for some time, being an active member of Cloudy Nights I found the distictly 'British' aspect of this forum quite refreshing and so have finally registered.

I've been into astronomy for about 4 years now and in that time have been very fortunate to assemble quite a collection of fine astro loot.

I have 3 refractors, all of which are APO triplets. (1 Meade 5000 series 80mm ED APO / 1 Meade 5000 series 127mm ED APO / 1 William Optics FLT 98 Special Addition with Blue Anodising). I also have a Meade 8" LX200 R which was my first scope, but since acquiring my first refrator I'm afrraid it hasn't seen much use of late, although it is a very fine telescope.

I have made a start in AP using an EQ6 pro but still need to acquire a guide camera for those longer exposures, however, to be honest, my real love in the hobby comes from simply using an alt/az gyro mount and rooting around the heavens manually with a star chart and any one of my trusty refractors.

I've acquired a lot of knowledge in what is probably a short space of time, but that comes down to great forums like these and the other like minded astronomers I've met along the way.

I look forward to being a part of this community and participating in the various threads that come along.

Kind Regards

Meademan

Hiya Meademan and welcome to the best forum bar none. I'm just down the road from you at 'Deadhill' :D have a biggish collection of scopes too - most of which dont come out from the cupboard often.

Do you do your thing in your garden or do you go to a dark sky site (well darkish considering Gatwick).

Mel

Hiya Meademan and welcome to the best forum bar none. I'm just down the road from you at 'Deadhill' :D have a biggish collection of scopes too - most of which dont come out from the cupboard often.

Do you do your thing in your garden or do you go to a dark sky site (well darkish considering Gatwick).

Mel

I actually live on the very south side of maidenbower on the Balcombe road. In fact, the next load of lights south of me is Brighton over 20 miles away and nothing really between me and the coast, so the southern looking sky isn't too bad from here, although a couple of local lamp posts don't help things!

Sometimes I hoof all my gear up to the top of the Ashdown forest in the back of the car....get some GREAT views from up there and its only a 20 min journey from here, but I'm always on the lookout for somewhere new to observe from.

Welcome to the SGL Forum Meademan, I'm Impressed with your collection of quality Instruments.

Looking forward to your posts, and I hope your knowledge increases a whole lot more as a result of joining us here.

Enjoy your stay, there are lots of very knowledgable members here.

Ron.:D

Hi everyone

I'd just like to add my thanks for all your messages welcoming me to the forum.

I guess like many other back yard astronomers, we often find ourselves out by ourselves with our scopes, but even in the last few days I've now been in touch with some memberes local to me here in West Sussex and I hope at some point to maybe meet up with some of you and look forward to finally being able to share this hobby of mine with like minded people...as I think my wife has had enough of me harping on to her about my late night escapades by myself in the dark.

What a great site

Regards

Mike

Archived