NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New to Astronomy

daveb

Hi, my name is Dave and i'm new to astronomy. I have joined a society which have 3 scopes (10 inch cassigrain, 12 inch and 18 inch reflectors) and not one good eyepiece between them. What would be the best eyepiece to get to use on all three for deep sky observing ?

Without knowing the focal lengths I would guess at 12-15mm.

Suspect that 10 would be OK but magnification isn't everything. 25-32 would give a good field of view and so 20-25mm if DSO hunting.

Average seem to be about 15mm. But it is all guesswork.

Where about are you?

Just my preference but, for some nice widefield dso's I'd want to try 25-40mm swans or uwans in the big scopes. Might try something a bit higher power (say 15-25mm) in the Cassegrain but I'd want to look at planets with it. :D

Without knowing the focal lengths I would guess at 12-15mm.

Suspect that 10 would be OK but magnification isn't everything. 25-32 would give a good field of view and so 20-25mm if DSO hunting.

Average seem to be about 15mm. But it is all guesswork.

Where about are you?

Thanks for the reply, I live near Bristol which has modest light pollution. I,ll have to get back about the focal lengths.

As Brantuk says a SWAN or UWAN would be nice and I ignored them deliberately because the scopes aren't yours. I assumed that you wouldn't want to spend a great deal, SWANs start at around the £50-60 mark add more for UWANs, on an EP that you will use on equipment you don't own.

The post says one EP so I presume that you intend to take it to the club to use then take home for use another day.

Archived