Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New(ish) Astronomer from Birmingham, UK.

pacifica3000

Last year I finally decided to try and take up a basic form of astronomy. After a lifetime of looking at the night sky cluelessly, I thought it was about time I actually learned what I am looking at. On my first night out with a star chart I thought I spotted Cygnus and Lyra and maybe even Hercules, but I wasn't too sure so I took some slow shutter pics of what I thought were those constellations. When I opened them in Photoshop and adjusted the light levels the constellations became really clear and I realised that I had actually spotted all three constellations correctly! I went back out the following night to try and spot them again and by the end of the week I had even found Draco, Bootes, Corona Borealis, Cassiopiea and Cephues!

It's inspired me to look up details about these constellations and I've since found out that there's an amazing nebula in the bottom half of Libra. It's amazing to actually know what I am looking at, rather then just staring random stars. It really gives me a sense of my place in the universe (as an ant looking out of an ant hill).

I've since bought myself an Explorer 130p and had some brilliant nights out with it. I also joined the Birmingham Astronomical Society (which is where I found out about this forum from) and have really enjoyed this amazing hobby ever since.

I would love to meet more like minded people, and maybe even attend some star parties (as long as their not too far away!)

Nice to meet you all, and hope to make some new friends.:D

Hi Parcifica,

A very warm welcome to SGL, you have realized the tremendous satisfaction of finding your way about the night sky, and your telescope will open up a whole new world for you, enjoy the forum.

John.

John.

Hi and welcome to SGL, Pacifica. :D Sounds like you're having a lot of fun, and that's as it should be. ;) If you're bored some cloudy night, see if you can locate any deep sky objects on your widefield pics... i used to find quite a few on my old 35mm film images. It's amazing how much you can pick up in 30 seconds at 800 ISO. :p

Hello, and welcome to the SGL Forum. You are certainly making a good start to your resurgent Astronomy career. Wide field Imaging of the Night Sky Is a superb educational tool, and will teach you a lot. Good luck with your new Scope, and any help you need, just ask, lots of willing, and knowledgable helpers here.

Ron.:D

Archived