SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Monitor question

TV's of yester-year were quite low res, as such the connection between your pc and your tv is probably designed to be backward compatible with these "normal" old TV's. Even though your new fangled flat screen LCD tv is high res the cable that sends the signals isn't. As such the image on your TV will be low res no matter what you do. The only time when this doesn't count is if you use a digital connection (DVI) rather than a s-video type connection.

All that being said, if it looks good on your TV it probably wont look too bad on a monitor, the best way is to "suck it and see".

I have my main PC hooked up to my 37" LCD TV, if I process images so that they look good on that are they goign to look good on everyone elses monitors?

No, unless a monitor is hardware profiled (sensor placed on the screen to measure colour) the colour will not be correct - that is certain.

(Adobe Gamma will get it nearly right)

Monitors are the bain of my life. Unless the calibration is perfect the variation between them is enourmous. My usual laptop shows up faint detail very well but is relatively low on contrast. My desk top at home is the opposite. What seems to be processed on one often looks dreadful on the other and vice versa. I have another small laptop which is spot on and my monitor at work which isn't bad either. The biggest problem is trying to get histogram adjustments right.

I would be surprised if that monitor gave you an accurate enough image for processing Ant.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say (Colour calibration aside) that if you get the picture looking good on the LCD (Essentially the 37" LCD is just a large monitor anyway) it should look pretty good on any other monitor. Yes there might be colour diffrences but should not be too bad. Remember that since its a 37" screen it will look sharper on a smaller screen as well

Archived