NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Optical Wonder Fluid

I was just browsing the FLO shop today (as i do) and i was yet again looking at the Baader Optical Wonder Fluid.

For some unknown reason, i have time and time again missed the following bit of info:

Note: Baader Optical Wonder is primarily a lens cleaner, it is not suitable for cleaning Newtonian mirrors.

Maybe i misunderstood past comments and chat with people about the cleaning fluid but i was under the impression that it was ok to use it on scope mirrors.

I dont need it yet. My rocket air blower cleans my mirrors very nicely.

Sooooooo my question is:

is this cleaning fluid ok for mirrors....or is it just for Bin,camera,refractor glass lenses?

Sorry for the bold typeface on this but my PC is doing weird stuff tonight.

The disclaimer about not using it on Newtonian mirrors has to do with the aluminized mirror coatings. The fluid could damage mirrors without proper protective coatings. Protective over-coatings vary from different mirror manufactures and some "protective" coatings aren't really that protective and the fluid could still damage the aluminized coating.

I've had no problems cleaning mirrors from Orion Optics UK with their Hilux coatings, but their protective coatings are really tough.

John

For mirrors safest way is to use distilled water - make it wet, wait for the dirt to glue-off and wash it again. Good deionized water could also be used but the cheapest ones may be of low "quality" and leave some spots after drying.

Re Cleaning mirror:

I have just done my 8" mirror from a Helios (skywatcher) Newt, I removed it from the clips and washed it with luke-warm water with a little washing up liquid. Use tips of fingers to gently clean the mirror. (They will feel anything abrasive, like grit, etc - if you feel that rinse). Once clean wash off with clean water (deionised if you wish) and then finally rinse with Isopropanol alcohol (from Maplin's), I dried with a large lens cleaning cloth by dabbing (I've also read to use surgical cotton wool).

I've go a perfectly clean mirror without a mark on it and the donut is still there.

If you are careful, but firm with handling and put a flannel or similar at bottom of sink and make sure everything is clean, especially hands, its not a daunting as some think. Its also a lot cheaper than using Baader's wonder fluid, which does a grate job on optics, even my glasses!

Regards,

Paul

I use this on my eyepieces and lens on my refractor and it's fantastic stuff. It comes in a spray bottle and I would say is not practical to use in on mirrors.

Mick.

I have just purchased a scope with some very dirty eye pieces and focuser.

How do you apply Baader?

Once applied what material do you use to wipe it clean.

Do you let it dry out?

I understand Q tips are a no no.

Thanks in advance,

Austin

Re: Paulus comments

It's worth pointing out that if you are going to touch the surface of a mirror it is best to check with the manufacturer first, I have just done my very dirty orion and i ended up gently wiping the whole thing with cotton woll while the mirror was in the water .This was because after soaking and rinsing a few times to remove the grit and dog hair it still seemed to be covered in a very light greasy mist, sap or pollen i guess. It is now lust like new, i don't think you need wonder fluids, just slightly soapy water and alcohol.

Re Chris's comments about cotton wool & checking with manufacturer:

My point about using finger tips to gently wash the grim away, is that they are (for most people) very sensitive to the very smallest bits of grit, which cotton wool is not, so preventing possible scratching of the mirror surface.

FWIW, my mirror when viewed with a lamp behind it has numerous tiny pinpricks of light showing through :p. (That is how it was when I first dismantled it not long after getting it second hand).

Washing it has not made any difference to the numbers or size of these pinpricks, but I always take care and time and if I detect anything under my finger tips, I stop and rinse, then continue as before.

One day I might look into getting it re mirrored, but it does not cause any problems that I can tell, so it can wait :D.

Regards,

Paul

...How do you apply Baader?

Once applied what material do you use to wipe it clean.

Do you let it dry out?

When I bought my Baader OW fluid I also invested in the Baader Microfibre cloth. The technique I use the cloth to apply the fluid to the lens. The fluid evaporates off pretty quickly then you gan gently polish with the cloth with no fluid on it. The Baader Microfibre cloth is by far and away the best optical cloth I've ever used. I cleaned some very expensive eyepieces with it a few nights ago and they have come up like new :D

.. The Baader Microfibre cloth is by far and away the best optical cloth I've ever used. .. :)

Thanks John.

Both the Baader fluid and cloth are on their way from FLO!

Cheers,

Austin

Archived