Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M (for minuscule) 3 (or should have been 3x closer!)

TakMan

First time imaging this subject and a globular cluster, so plenty to learn! :D

Tak FSQ106ED @ f5

SBIG ST4000 OSC @ -20°C, self-guided

Tak EM400 GEM

Mount controlled by Equinox 6

Camera controlled by Equinox Image

:)Apple PowerBook G4 17"

Pre-Processed in Nebulosity 2 (Drizzle Stacked)

Processed in Adobe Photoshop CS3 with 'Noel's Actions' and 'Russell Croman's Gradient XT'.

23 (best out of 30) x 120 sec exposures, this time without the IDAS LPV2 filter!

Dark and Flat frames (using the Electroluminescent Panel).

Thanks for looking - any advise, please forward!

Can anyone tell me the name of the galaxy... (see cropped shot on far right:iamwithstupid:)?

Damian

post-16760-133877444532_thumb.jpg

post-16760-133877444538_thumb.jpg

Very nice glob at a time of year when globs are scarce! You have excellent resolution and nice bit of colour developing, you could show the cluster much more prominently and fuller-coloured if you processed a bit more aggressively. I have had a tweak, but I leave the decision to you, it's a very personal thing how to show a glob.

The spiral you mention is indeed NGC 5263, Cartes du Ciel also confirms it. Remember we are very much in 'galaxy country' here, there are several other faint fuzzies in your field!

Thanks for sorting out the galaxy and kind comments too! :D

Attached, a higher saturated version of the core and flipped to match the view in Starry Night....

Pete, please feel free to upload your version as I'm always interested to see others interpretations.

Will try this target again with the focal extender!

Regards,

Damian

post-16760-133877444796_thumb.jpg

I'll throw my 2p in here and say I love the first one the most. It's sort of cross-breed between a widefield, which I love, but not sacrificing the beautiful detail in the glob, which, ehem, I love too! :D So my vote goes for the contestant No.1 :p

Marius

Pete, please feel free to upload your version as I'm always interested to see others interpretations.

I didn't save the result of my tinkering with your image, sorry, it was only a little 'play'. But what I ended up with, I think, was more or less the same as the one in your latest posting. It's a personal thing, I know, but I like that latest version better, I think I'm one of those who likes the 'stronger' type of globular image. But very good result, good luck with your future attempts at globs (plenty to choose from as the summer approaches!)

I like it. It is important to see widefield images as well as close-ups because both have their charm. As for the two contestants, can I have the background sky from No1, please, and the stars from No2??

If you want to push the saturation, maybe try colour select on the background sky, select inverse and then push the saturation. Or there is MartinB's idea of going into lab colour mode, splitting the channels and then boosting contrast on the a and b channels before recombining.

And look at that Tak resolution at just 530mm. Great.

Olly

Archived