SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

what would you buy

Just have a look at the other dozens of threads created here last week alone already :):(.

As be prepared to be overwhelmed with different choices thrown at you.

You've got a Refractor evangelists, Dobsonian/Reflector evangelists and the SCT/Mak evangelists.

They all gonna tell you their type of scope is the best. ;)

I can tell you now the answer will be a dobsonian scope.

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian

This one would leave you a bit for some eye pieces which I dont have the experience to help with but there is plenty of info here.

A first scope depends on what you want to see and how much time you have or how dark your skies are. Perhaps if you tell us some more info the expreienced guys will advise you better ;)

The following applies tho, before able to make the right decision (I had to to go through the same):

*Does it need to be portable (or do you just keep it in your backyard). As do you have to go to dark sites often, because of high light polution at your home town?

*Are you familiar with the skies and able to or willing to learn to navigate and find stuff on your own. Or is your knowledge zero and you are limited in time? This is a very important decision factor, as it can mean the difference between enjoying it or getting fed up with it very quickly and be dissapointed.

*Are you technical? Handy enough to understand and be able to collimate your scope (wich is necessary when it comes to certain scopes).

Those are 3 very basic, but very important decision factors as to wich telescope will suit you best.

I myself went for a 8" SCT with GoTo, while I was being torn between a 100ED refractor and 8" reflector.

In the end I went for the 8" SCT as it was a good apperture for me, still resonably portable, good Astro photography abilities and it came with a solid GoTo equatorial mount.

Altho 8" is far above your budget (double the price). A 6" SCT GoTo or 127mm MAK GoTo is more in range of your budget.

If you do not need GoTo and willing to learn to navigate the skies on yourself and you are 100% sure you are going to be good at that, than an 8" apperture Newtonian or Dobsonian will be within your budget range.

This ofcourse if you do not mind to collimate your scope once in a while.

You also have a wide range of Refractor telescopes. Like the Skywatcher Evostar series, wich are pretty decent achromatic refractors. This is also an option if you are more into planetary observation.

like i said im very new to astronomy and have no knowledge at all on telescopes, im looking for an all round scope that even a noob like me can use with ease.

im asking peoples views to give me ideas on what sort of set up I can afford.

thanks for any help in advance

I'll give another thumbs up to the Skyliner 200P. No reason to blow the whole budget, the 200P will do it all for under £300. Leaving plenty for accessories later. As a beginner your initial interest maybe drawn to the moon and planets. The 200P is spectaular on these and the views will match scopes costing a lot more. And the deepsky views will definitely not disappoint, especially from a dark sky site.

It also transports without issue. The tube fits nicely across the backseat of most cars, certainly fitted across the backseat of our old Fiesta. And you are setup ready to rock in less than minute.

Only downside is the collimation which is daunting for a newbie. But handled carefully it will hold collimation no probs.

I agree get a dobsonian, you say you are not technical at all, so in my mind that rules out astrophotography, so why don't you buy a manual dob and get yourself a star atlas and a red torch and find a dark place and sit back and learn the sky the old fashioned way.

If you are dedicated and willing to learn you will be amazed at what can be found with a 8" dob.

I agree get a dobsonian, you say you are not technical at all, so in my mind that rules out astrophotography, so why don't you buy a manual dob and get yourself a star atlas and a red torch and find a dark place and sit back and learn the sky the old fashioned way.

If you are dedicated and willing to learn you will be amazed at what can be found with a 8" dob.

And if he does feel dounted by the Dob, then a 127 Mak GoTo is also a great alround option to start out with!

There are lots of people on these forums that have the Skywatcher 127Mak GoTo. And they are very happy with it!

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=skywatcher_skymax_127_az_goto

And as Paul said it needs to be portable. This Skymax is highly portable. Easy to set up. Quick to use.

Of all the telescopes I have seen and out of the ones I have got. Dobsonians are the ones to use. ;)

Yes Dobs are great, but you guys forget the part where he said it needs to be portable and he needs to take it a dark site to use it.

Then a big Dob isn't really the best choice to be honest.

Depends what size dob and how it's transported to the dark site. At our recent dark site trip i setup my 8" dob in a fraction of the time it took the other guys to get going, including those with small grab'n'go refractors. Simply take the base out of the boot, plonk it down. Take the tube of the backseat, plonk in the base. Take an eyepiece out of the case and start observing. Less than a minute from opening the cars doors. I used to transport it in a MkIII Fiesta without any issues. Now take it in a Honda Accord and there's room aplenty for everything i need.

My 12.5" dob i wouldn't have considered taking to a dark site. It was a right royal nightmare getting it in the car, it weighed a ton and was back breaking getting back out of the car. An 8" dob is the perfect combination aperture, size and portability.

Off course, if the scope is being transported to site by motorcycle or by Smartcar, an 8" dob could be a big issue. ;)

neither i drive a vauxhall zafira lol, i like Skywatcher 127Mak GoTo but also the Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P so might have to break the bank and get both(will end up single though)

neither i drive a vauxhall zafira lol, i like Skywatcher 127Mak GoTo but also the Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P so might have to break the bank and get both(will end up single though)

Zafira = Astro wagon with loads of room ;)

Both are great scopes. The 127 is pin sharp on the planets, loads of contrast plus it tracks. The dob is simply fab on everything but has to be nudged.

£500 was my budget too. I got an 8-inch dobsonian, books and warm clothes. Great scope, I loved using it. Ten years on, I've upgraded from the scope and most of the books, but still use the clothes.

I told myself £500 was my budget for a new scope and was almost going to get the Skywatcher 127 on the alt/az goto but I pushed my budget and got the Nexstar 6SE I think it's the all round ideal scope for me - enough light gathering power without being physically overbearing and bulky - couple of thumb screws (no tools required) to dismantle and put in the car and can also be lifted in and out of the house fully assembled and the GOTO is great.

Just my pennies worth ;)

But that red dot finder is still p'ing me off - LOL !

Same here, an 8" dob is easy to use and portable enough if you have a car. (not many scopes are portable without a car anyway...)

Then again if goto is a must the Orion XT8i or a skywatcher 127 MAK with GOTO Alt-AZ mount if you want tracking too.

That will still leave some money left for the extras.

I had to choose tween the SW 200p and the 127 Mak. I opted for the Mak for two reasons.

First, storage. My better half doesn't share my enthusiasm for astronomy and I have to take her feelings into account when it comes to where I store it.

Second, I like that it tracks. I do a lot of high power viewing with the moon and planets and I find it a pain to have to keep adjusting the scope. But that's just me.

I have not been disappointed. The 127 Mak is small but packs a powerful punch when it comes to the moon, the planets and many DSOs especially globular and open clusters. And that's from my light polluted back garden. I can only imagine how good it would be at a dark site.

However, I can see the benefits of the extra light gathering power of the bigger reflectors for viewing DSOs in more detail and I can see me in time making room in one of my sheds for the storage of at least an 8" reflector, Dob or otherwise.

thanks for your replys its amazing what you can learn on here i think im going to go with the dob to start. the other half has said she will buy me the skywatcher 127 MAK with GOTO Alt-AZ mount for Christmas if im a good boy

Seams like a good choice. But make sure you understand what will you gain and loose between a reflector on a dobsonian mount and a reflector on a EQ mount. Both have pros and cons, to me the dobsonian mount wins mainly because it haves virtually no setup time and it's simple to use. I do plan to get an EQ later on when I decide to take the plunge in to the imaging world, but thats a whole new investment on both time and money.

What's important is that you make an informed choice according to your personal taste.

Archived