Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Argos Tin Shed Obsrvatory

Merlin66

A couple of years ago now ( how time flies) I bought a 8 x 6 Argos tin shed and turned it into a roll off roof observatory for the 12" Lx200.

I see in today's paper they have an even larger 8 x 7 tin shed for under 200 pounds... if it's as good as the one I got, it'll make a great observatory!!

I've got a largish Argos "tin shed" with pitch roof and sliding front doors which I keep my Kawasaki in. I mention this as I consider the shed to be well designed and finished. Also it has stood up to the rain and wind with no problems and that's saying something up here!

Argos 8 x6 tin shed option

Covers the whole story. Here we are almost two year's later and it's still 100%......

Ken

Excellent stuff. You've done a really good job there.

Although it occurs to me that it would work well with your fine setup of a big LX200 and a pier-mounted wedge, but the sides would be too high for my Newtonian + HEQ5 setup which is at a lower elevation than yours. If you get my drift.

Luke,

At 8x7 feet floorspace I'd have thought you'd be okay with the tripod partly extended?

Ian

Actually, I was thinking of going for the 8x6 option to save on space.

But I guess I just need to have a taller pier or, as you say, extend the tripod. Although a Newt on an HEQ5 is a bit more unweildy than a Wedge-mounted Schmidt-Cassegrain, so maybe I need a bigger shed after all.

Mine gets a little condensation on the underside of the roof which can safely be ignored. The only other place seems to be on the outsides - on the lower parts of the walls - again no problem. it survived last (awful 6" of snow etc) winter without problems.

If the temperature is equalised with the ambient there must be condensation.....

Not an issue for me so far...may need dew straps on the SCT and a Maplins 12V electric Doggie blanket for the laptop... but I'd still need them if I was outside....

Ken

Sorry - I should have mentioned dewing during observation sessions! Yes - dewing protection is needed as Merlin66 points out. The good thing is that it seems inside/outside temp differences seem small - the walls are good conductors of heat (or cold!!).

Certainly never been an issue for me!

Remember if the dew doesn't form on surfaces with colder nightime temperatures, then the surface temperature is above the dew point; there's a temperature gradiant which in extreme can cause the seeing to deteriorate. With the ROR the whole work area quickly drops to ambient!!

Ken

Like Merlin I've not had a problem so far - I suppose it depends on the local microclimate as well - I'm in rural Norfolk which is a comparitivly "dry" area. If you lived in the west or north I reckon that the "wetter" climate may cause more condensation problems?

Archived