Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Falling in love wth the Moon again

LukeSkywatcher

Not that i have ever fallen out of love with it but lastnight it was like i was observing the Moon for the very first time. Conditions were perfect. Not a single spec of a cloud in the sky and no dew to speak of either. It wasnt too cold either.

I set the scope up out the back for an hour or so and then i moved it to the front of the house because thats where the moon was. What greeted my eye when i pointed the scope at the Moon was the most amazingly beautiful sight. Along the terminator was just filled with the most amazing craters and shadows that appeared like i have never seen them before. Using a 10mm EP with/without my 2x barlow i was able to pick off minute details that i simply haver never been able to see before for whatever reason. I could see small peaks inside the centre of some craters, i could see crater wall shadows extending outwards across the floors of craters and i could even see some craters on the unlit side of the terminator being highlighted around a small part of their edges..........which gives the effect that they are somehow floating around in space (if you know what i mean).

With the 10mm EP and Barlow the air seemed to be boiling but even this did not spoil my views. I was just astounded. I could almost feel the undulations of the lunar surface as i observed. It really was as if i was hovering a few miles above the surface looking down.

Incredible.

I hate to say it but the views were even better then observing Mars and M44 together in the same FOV with a 25mm EP.

P.S.~~~i was observing the Moon whilst pointing the scope right between two orange glowing streetlights. My light pollution filter took care of those suckers as if they were not even there.

Excellent report Paul. As you say, we never fall out of love with the moon, just neglect it slightly. I rediscovered the moon last year when my LP problems were at their height. Had a wonderful night looking at the moon last night. Seeing was awful around 21.30 but quite nice by midnight.

I had some more great views last night, especially of the south pole region. I had both a lunar and light pollution filter on the EP and i found them conflicting with each other and made the images darker then i cared for so i tested the scope with just one and then the other. I have to say that i ended up taking the moon filter off and just observing with the LP filter attached. The views just became breathtaking. Shadows of cliff walls spreading out into large craters was just stunning.

I have come to the conclusion that since i bought my firstscope (a 90EQ refractor) that i was merely looking at the moon but not seeing it. I have had my SW 130P since Christmas and the weather has been pretty crud.

I have had some fantastic nights observing over the last week or so and i feel i am actually seeing the moon instead of just looking at it. Yes the extra apeture helps.

great stuff Paul

coincidentally, I have heard a few people refer to the moon in these sorts of terms over the last week or two. I have also start 'doing' the Lunar 100. are you aware of this? although I too love roaming the surface, it's a great the try and find some of the features on the list and learn what they are etc. they start easy - the first one is 'the moon' and get harder as you go. here's a link Lunar 100

hope you enjoy it.

Archived