Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mesmerising Saturn!

flight69er

The ringed wonder always steals the show whether her rings are edge on or wide open. Look out for some moon transits/shadows shortly: Rhea on April 23 at around 2130hrs BST, and Tethys and Dione on April 24 at around 2330hrs. Fingers crossed for a clear night.

It's amazing, even after 27 years it's still addictive. Currently most of my observing is centered on Saturn. Those transits sound good, i'll make a note of those dates....thanks! And yes, fingers crossed for a clear night.

Ahh yes Saturn's my favourite planet. I'm really stoked this evening, set up my 200p out in unpromising conditions (windy and clouds) and took a look a Saturn, not only could I see Titan but I could just make out 2 or 3 other moons with averted vision. I took a look on Stellarium and they are 4 other of Saturn's moons Tethys, Rhea, Dione and Enceladus. Rhea and Dione look really close together. Sadly I didn't spot iapetus although I wasn't looking for it.

Any geologists out there - is a there a link between Saturn's moons and ancient oceans ? I have heard of Iapetus and Tethys but never Rhea or Dione...

The ringed wonder always steals the show whether her rings are edge on or wide open. Look out for some moon transits/shadows shortly: Rhea on April 23 at around 2130hrs BST, and Tethys and Dione on April 24 at around 2330hrs. Fingers crossed for a clear night.

That sounds great and the skies look good for the 23rd. What site did you use for the Transit times, be really handy to see all the upcoming transit times.

One of my work colleagues subscribes to the BBC Sky At Night Magazine which I dip into now and then. The moon transits were given in the April edition which I was mighty impressed with.

I am not aware of a website that lists moon transits for Saturn but a US website Sky and Telescope have a rather good browser integrated app that gives you all the transits for Jupiter.

Good luck (I'm on late shifts both days so may miss these transits- any feedback highly appreciated!).

Cheers

Arif ;)

I saw Saturn last night for the first time ever. What I think makes this more special is that last night was also the first time I gave light to my Tak FS-60CB and the first time I'm looking up in the sky through a telescope. Might this be an omen of some kind??

Archived