What big scope?

I didn't really know where to post this, but here goes...

I am due to have a windfall from work during the year which will come to about NZ$4000, so at current rates that's about £1850.

I really want a new telescope, I've got aperture fever and have my eyes on a 12". I haven't really got a budget in mind but am open to saving up more money if required. So my question is what scope to go for.

I have a dark site in my garden so travelling is not an issue. Also I've got an eq mount at the moment and if I'm honest I'm not very good with it, so I am looking at the dobsonians.

So far I'm looking at the Meade, SkyWatcher, Saxon (? don't know anything about these). As I'm in NZ I can't just go and play with different ones, I'll have to choose and then import one. I see the Lightbridges are collapsible, is that desirable even if I'm not going to travel with it?

I also see there is a 16" which admittedly I haven't looked up the price of yet (!!!) but is it worth the extra money?

All my eye pieces and filters are 1.25" but it looks like the big scopes are all 2"? I presume you can just get an adaptor?

And finally I would like to get Goto too. I know I'm not asking much am I??!! What are the good ones to go for and how much should I budget for that?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Hi Cate,

(I think) all 2" focusers already come with 1.25" adapters.

If transportability isn't an issue, then I'd think that a solid tube would be preferable. Both for the rigidity and protection it affords to the optical train, not to mention shielding the optics from stray light.

That said most (all?) Dobs over 12" seem to be truss tube types anyway.

Are extra inches worth the money? :D If it's within your budget/you can afford it, then yes.

Goto Dob? Easy! :D

Currently the GSO (aka Revelation) 12" seems to be getting good press on the forum.

As for good stuff available in NZ and what to budget for it, I don't know. I'm sure that the folks on the IceInSpace forum would have a better idea, as they cover Australia, NZ & Asia/Pacific.

HTH :)

Looks like the 16" could become a reality :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks David for your thoughts, you've confirmed what I was thinking. Good to know I'm on the right tracks.

Are there any vital quality differences between the Meade and SkyWatcher?

Hi,

I'd go for the 16inch any day. In for a penny, in for a pound. There is a real dfference on deep sky objects. We have a 20 inch here and it is great fun.

i would always go for an open truss on a large scope to avoid tube currents (warm air trapped in the tube and moving). The big Meades in the old builders' cardboard tubes were reputedly a real problem in this regard. Ours is a truss and is as good as gold for cooling.

On the 2 inch EP issue, you will be able to use your courrent EPs but you will certainly want to buy yourself a 2 inch widefield because your scope will have a fair old focal length and the strong point of a big dob is picking up the large faint nebulae. We have a 35mm TeleVue Panoptic which virtually lives in our Dob. It gives a one degree field at just over 2 metres. Cheaper widefields are available... but that TV is wonderful!

Have fun,

Olly

Going from 6" to 12" is a big step, 6" to 16" is a huge one. You say you don't need to travel but if the scope will need to be moved at all then consider the size and weight in relation to your door sizes, any steps etc.

I moved from an 8" dob to a 12" Flextube. The latter is definitely more effort to take out into the back garden, and because of the longer cool-down time it's not the sort of thing for a "quick peek". I drive it to dark sites and do long sessions there - it's well worth the effort. The bulkiest and most awkward bit is the base.

There are lots of things I like about the Flextube, my only real gripe is the inadequate baffling leading to stray light issues - only really a problem on planets, and solvable with some simple mods. The 2" focusser comes with a 1.25" adapter.

I been considering a similar upgrade for the near future.

From what I read the Lightbridge is a scope that will need a few mods from the start. Nothing too hard but still you'll need to reinforce the base, add some counter weights in the bottom and other stuff. Take a look at this thread I started:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/97983-whats-fastest-big-dob-assemble-14-a.html

Another good option might be the Orion USA XX12i or XX14i. From what I read all the details are taken care of. It haves Push-to system, it's like a goto that tells you where to point, you only need a 9v battery on the controller and a 2 star alignment. It already haves counter weights, mirror cooling fans, dual speed focuser, etc.

Orion SkyQuest XX14i IntelliScope Truss Dobsonian | Orion Telescopes

SkyQuest XX12 IntelliScope Truss Dobsonian | Orion Telescopes

The collapsible design in skywatcher dobs seams to be the easiest to assemble and hold collimation:

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 300P FlexTube Dobsonian

Or the 14" model listed in India but not available yet:

sky_watcher-india

Another option is to get a 12" Orion Optics (UK) Deluxe version dob with top quality optics and all the extras (1/10pv optics, dual speed focuser, etc). Or you can settle for a bit less quality on the optics 1/6pv (still better then the 1/4 on the other brands) and get the 14" version.

Dobsonian OD300 S De Luxe

All of this support 1.25" and 2" EPs.

EDIT: Another thing to think of: This focal ratios will be very demanding on EPs and maybe you should take into account your current EPs may show imperfections off the center. If you don't want any further expenses you should pick an option that will free part of your budget for 2 or 3 quality EPs such as the Skywatcher Nirvanas, Televue Naglers or Pentax XWs.

Aperture is king !!! Having said that, a 12" dob will show you enough to last a lifetime.

Bear in mind, that unless you get a dob with tracking eg the SW 300p autotrack, you will constanly be nudging the scope to keep objects in the field of view.

Whatever you choose, you're going to love the way it performs.

I have had my 16" Lightbridge for about 4 months now. The best scope purchase I have ever made. Would highly recommend it with some quality EPs. I have a mix of Baader, Plossls and a Meade 5000 teleextender.

The primary mirror part of the OTA is heavy. I'm reasonably fit, but carrying it around over any distance makes me sweat ! Better if you can have it stored in an assembled state in an observatory.

Would recommend a light shroud also. I find it indispensible where I am to prevent stray light. If your site is limiting mag of 6.0 or better, you might not need the shroud, although it can help prevent dew as well.

I agree about the shroud. Our site is mag 7 to those with young eyes and I can detect no difference when it is used or not. Maybe a really critical visual observer would notice, though. But a fabric shroud is not something to notice physically.

Olly

Thanks guys, this is all really great information. I had worried about the weight issue, I'm only small myself so that might be a real hassle. I do still need to get it in and out of the house.

Although my heart keeps telling me to go to the biggest I can afford, my head is leaning towards the 12" with spare money for some really good EPs. I've got 25mm, 10mm and 6mm all Plossls which I'm really happy with but I'm sure I could improve my viewing with better EPs also.

The 12" flex skywatchers have got good reviews and don't seem to require as many after market mods as the lightbridges, though they will take up a little bit more space. As the 16" will use up all your budget, I'd probably steer towards the 12" and use the 'spare' money buying either new eyepieces or filters or finders, shround etc. At f5 you might need to spend a bit more on quality eyepieces. I second the suggestion of a good low power, wide angle eyepiece, to really show as much of the sky as possible, nirvanas or uwans seem to be a good bet. A 16" is also a lot bigger and heavier than you image.

Have fun!!

my heart keeps telling me to go to the biggest I can afford

But go for the biggest you can manage - it'll get used a lot more.

Regarding the shroud, I have the Astrozap one for my 12" Flextube. If a scope is well baffled and there isn't a streetlight shining right down the tube you shouldn't need a shroud except for dew prevention and protecting the primary. I find the dew protection it affords limited (a dewshield, to keep the secondary clear, is more important), and really I use it in case of accidents when I'm leaning over the tube to look through the finder. But last night was really windy and the scope was unusable with the shroud, which acted like a sail, so I removed it and that helped. You don't get dew in windy conditions so the shroud and dewshield were unneccessary.

Archived