Am I seeing Tau Hip?

I am totally new to this and viewing with the naked eye directly west 270 degree at an elevation of about 15 degrees (London). This star is the only one I can see without using any equipment and Stellarium indicates to me this is Hip. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Austin

If you are viewing it between 8.30/9.30pm, I would guess that you are seeing Venus - it's the brightest thing in the area at that time

Thanks for your reply DP, however presently (21:15 pm ) Stellerium indicates that Venus is located at 289 degrees and just above the horizon at 6 degrees.

Thanks DP, Chris and Insomnia for your replies. You have convinced me. I have had a glimpse of a very faint moon beside Venus using the binos. I need to check the calibration of Stellerium.

Cheers,

Austin

It seems now that more than a few people are having the same issue with stellarium being out of synce and in the same way, namely that it's showing stuff lower than it should be for quite a few people, I think ther current interest in venus is what's revealed this one.

Thanks DP, Chris and Insomnia for your replies. You have convinced me. I have had a glimpse of a very faint moon beside Venus using the binos. I need to check the calibration of Stellerium.

Cheers,

Austin

Thats not a moon that's Mercury.

It seems now that more than a few people are having the same issue with stellarium being out of synce and in the same way, namely that it's showing stuff lower than it should be for quite a few people, I think ther current interest in venus is what's revealed this one.

Isn't that just due to Summer Time, resulting in Stellarium being an hour out of step?

even so, it's still more than an hour out of flunter, I reckon there's more than five people on this forum alone that have this issue, more than a few won't have noticed, which to me points to an issue.

I've noticed this discrepancy also. As Venus first starts to become noticeable each evening, it's far higher than Stallarium shows it to be.

I've noticed this discrepancy also. As Venus first starts to become noticeable each evening, it's far higher than Stallarium shows it to be.

I have installed Cartes du Ciel with no sync problems.

Austin

If the position is noticably off, it's almost certainly a timezone/daylight savings thing. It's been a long standing confusion for me personally - some people seems to have problems with timezone settings, and not other people.

Do check the timezone and daylight savings stuff is set correctly on your computer.

P.S. It is possible/probable there is a bug in Stellarium wrt timezone/DST handling.

Whatever is 'Tau Hip' ? never heard of it and googling doesnt bring up anything meaningful.

My mistake. I should have quoted Aldebaran Tau - Hip 21421.

Stellarium at my time of observing showed Aldebaran to be in my FOV. However, as confirmed in this thread it was Venus I was looking at. Stellarium was out by one hour which I have not been able to resolve. As a result I have moved over to SkyChart.

Cheers,

Austin

I don't think that Stellarium takes Summer Time into account, at least it doesn't seem to on my PC. If you rely on it to use the computer default time, it will 'think' that it is GMT (aka UT), but I'm sure someone will correct me on this one. I suggest that you set Stellarium for an hour behind the current time, and I think you'll see that it's correct.

That's what I do, and it seems to be accurate for my location.

Ah, Stellarium - I see where Tau Hip comes from...

Aldebaran (α Tau) - HIP 21421

Aldebaran is the proper name.

α Tau is the designation and constellation (alpha Tauri) - alpha (α) in the constellation of Taurus.

HIP 21421 is the Hipparcos catalogue number.

So, three different names for the same star.

Hope that makes sense.

Ah, Stellarium - I see where Tau Hip comes from...

Aldebaran (α Tau) - HIP 21421

Aldebaran is the proper name.

α Tau is the designation and constellation (alpha Tauri) - alpha (α) in the constellation of Taurus.

HIP 21421 is the Hipparcos catalogue number.

So, three different names for the same star.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for that clarificaion. I have just come across the name Hipparcos in my Nightwatch - Dickinson as I read your message.

Cheers,

Austin

Archived