Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Philips ToUcam installation problem

A McEwan

Hi all,

My webcam imaging equipment is nearly all here. I have a modified Philips ToUcan PCVC840k/00 and a new ASUS Eee PC netbook. The netbook has no optical drive, and I'm having trouble installing the drivers for the cam.

I downloaded the Philips drivers including "Vcheck" and get to the point where I'm told to insert the cam into a USB port, but when I do so nothing happens, the software doesn't give me any further prompts- it just hangs there. I can cancel out of it, but then I don't think it's installing properly if I do so.

The camera is listed in my Add/Remove programs listing, but I can't actually get the camera to activate, and clicking in properties in Device Manager shows that no driver is installed!

My operating system is XP SP3.

If anyone can refer me to an idiot-proof way of installing the PCVC840k/00 cam drivers without using an optical drive, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Ant

Hi there , i recently bought the same camera but was 840k/20 model , I got the wrong drivers for my model first time around and had same problem you have . Double check the filename on the drivers to see if it matches your model number , aside from that i'm not sure after i got the correct drivers installation went fine which was on a msi wind netbook .

Yes, I've checked that. There was another driver file specifically for XP Pro, though mine is Home. I tried both, bu the end result was exactly the same with either driver set, as described above.

Surely there is a way to install the driver files manually somehow?

Ant

I know this is a long workaround, but what I got my camera loaded onto my netbook is to copy the cd onto a usb hard-drive, via my main computer, and plug that in. Then attach the camera and when it asks where it can find the drivers, open the appropriate hard drive.

OK, presume you have tried clicking 'update driver'.

If that fails, it might be worth going into 'remove hardware' and deleting the camera from the list; restart computer (don't connect to internet); insert camera into usb; let computer do its own thing referring it to the hd with the drivers on when it says it is going looking.

Sometimes Windows likes to think that it (not you) are in control of what it is doing!

Sorry, but yes - done all that too. Tried getting XP to install it all by itself but with no joy. I know the camera is compatible with XP and I have drivers - why can I not get everything to stick/work together?!?!? mutter...mutter...

Another option that comes to mind is upgrading the firmware to 900 series. This might be easier to install.

Unfortunately I sold my last PCVC 840 and now only have the SP900nc so can't help with installation.

Ken

Now I know I am being stupid, but you say it is a modified webcam. Doesn't that need a parallel connection as well as the usb connection? And if your ASUS netbook is anything like mine, it doesn't have a parallel port?

No, I'm clearly being really stupid (or clutching at straws)

Well, the cam was modified by Andy at astronomiser, and got a upgraded B&W vhip fitted. Apart from that I got a nosepiece and AV/IR filter, but the camera came back looking just the same - only the USB cable running from the camera.

As for upgrading the bios to spc900 series, I presume I'd then use the 900 series drivers instead? Are they more reliable/easy to install?

Ant

Thanks for the offer, but the netbook has no optical drive. I have the CD for the 840 here and copied the files to a USB stick, but again, no success yet. I'm hoping a computer expert locally may be able to help.

Ant

Hi Ant

If I were you I'd give Andy a quick call to confirm which drivers he reckons will work and where to get them. I had my SPC900 mod'd by him (SC1.5 mod) and he was most helpfull.

He'll tell you which drivers and cables are needed and he'll also recomend the control software to use (probably wxAstroCapture). He usually flashes the firmware as part of the mod so confirm that too.

I remember having to mess around with the drivers a bit - it's a manual install you'll need - and I'd remove any previous driver installations first to get a clear start and avoid any clashes.

Cheers :)

Hello again, guys.

I feel the need to say, "DUH.". Again, in a louder voice, "DUH, DUH DUH!!!". I've been unbelievably DUH-ish today.

Ten minutes ago I walked past the box the camera and accessories arrived in, and something glinted, catching the Sun's rays. Yes, a CD. And what was written on the CD? "Drivers for SPC900 camera Vista and XP", was written on it.

Copied the files onto SD card, ran the intal program, rebooted, 100% flawless installation! Plugged in camera and was amzed to see it work perfectly first time.

Thank you all for your advice. If I hadn't stumbled upon the disc, I would have contacted Andy next and he'd have told me where it was, so I've saved some time.... and been a bit of a doofus in the meantime!

Can't wait to try this out now. Now, as to my installation of wxAstroCapture, well - that's a different story... :)

Ant

Archived