Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bright thing in the sky

Dan73

Last night with my 10" dob both looked very bright and you could make out they were planets, you could see the phase of Venus (just like the moon when its not full) but Mercury was just a small bright dot. But Mercury is pretty small and very close to the sun so its pretty amazing and quite rare just to see that. Hope you get a clear sky again this evening, set up your scope and have a look.

In late September it will be around 40" and displaying a thin crescent.

That will be a nice show. Unfortunately it will be as low as it is now, after the sun sets.

In late September it will be around 40" and displaying a thin crescent.

That will be a nice show. Unfortunately it will be as low as it is now, after the sun sets.

But as AN put it, it will "return with a vengeance" in the morning during November and December. Can't wait.

I'm thrilled i have seen Mercury at all. Reading the S@N mag this month i see that it wont be around as it is right now for very long.............a couple of weeks at best.

The weather for the weekend is meant to be really good so hopefully i'll have a chance to observe it again and get a snapshot.

Archived