Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello all,

I'm looking at buying a new set of eyepieces, the one's im looking at are Revelation photo visual set.

Has anyone used these if so how do you find them, would they suit my 10" dob + their within my price range and got a group test award in the S'A'Night mag

Many thanks robert:icon_eek:

Do you really need a set of eyepieces? A few well chosen ones, each for a specific application, could well be a better option and quite possibly be cheaper too!

With the set you are considering, for example, would you use all of them? or the filters? or the camera adaptor? that are supplied in the set -you are paying for them!

IMO with a F5 scope you should really aim for better corrected eyepieces it will give you a much better view.

Agreed - with an F/4.7 scope a couple of better quality eyepieces would be a better investment.

Robert,

Whilst I am sure that the others are right about selecting carefully, as a beginner I bought exactly that set, and learned a lot about what focal lengths suit me, my telescope and what I like to look at. When I am ready to get better eyepieces I will know exactly what I am looking for. I have played with everything in the kit, and learned a little bit about what each one does.

Steve from FLO advised this route, when I called him up confused about what eyepieces I wanted, and he has been proved right. At least in my case.

old_eyes

Thank's everyone for the input,

At the moment im useing a 25mm to look at everything .

Example Saturn with 25mm about the size of my little finger nail,with my x2 barlow+25mm a little bigger, With my 6or 9mm can't focus in close this is the reason i thought of a set plus you do get the filters which i would be getting in the future,

If i go the other way what eyepices would i need I like to look at clusters planets neb's

Any more input would be great

Thank's robert

With a 10" reflector you could easily manage with just two ep's and a barlow lens. If your happy with your 25mm ep keep it for the time being and add a quality 12 or 13mm ep this will be perfect for observing DSO's add to this a x2 barlow and with the 12mm you have x200 which is perfect for planetary work. Your 10" scope is, as others have said, F4.7 which is pretty demanding on ep's and that may be the reason why you can't focus your 6 or 9mm ep's. Another reason maybe be your scopes collimation, is it spot on? With this scope for good views it needs to be.

So my advice would be check your scopes collimation, buy a good x2 barlow and buy a good 12mm ep.

Is that the set from Pulsary/Scopes and Skies? I'm pretty interested in it myself as it looks like good value for money being more or less the same price as a GSO barlow and a couple of Plossls.

Thank's everyone for the input,

At the moment im useing a 25mm to look at everything .

Example Saturn with 25mm about the size of my little finger nail,with my x2 barlow+25mm a little bigger, With my 6or 9mm can't focus in close this is the reason i thought of a set plus you do get the filters which i would be getting in the future,

If i go the other way what eyepices would i need I like to look at clusters planets neb's

Any more input would be great

Thank's robert

If I were in your shoes I would be looking at getting a couple of TS Planetary HR eyepieces - a 9mm would give you 133x and a 6mm 200x. I'd also see if the budget would stretch to a 32mm plossl for low power / wide field use on the larger DSO's. For clusters and planetary nebulae the 25mm with the 2x barlow or the 9mm would be good but a lower power eyepiece is very useful to find them.

The TS planetary eyepieces can be found at Modern Astronomy:

Eyepieces @ Modern Astronomy

They are excellent eyepieces for their price and compete well with much more expensive models I've found :)

You do get what you pay for with astro gear so bear that in mind when comparing "deals". The performance of your setup will only be as good as the weakest componant.

Try the for sale section - there's some terrific bargains there - you'll soon build up a brilliant collection of "as good as new" ep's over a few weeks for half the price. Wish I hadn't gone for an ep set when I first started - but then I had no idea what I was doing :)

Hello all

Well im getting closer to a decision ,I was reading Warthog's sticky looks like i'll be looking for a 12 16 20 35mm as i have 6mm +25mm i think that this will cover all i need.

Many thank's for all your input ,now all i have to do is find them at the right price.

Peter M that set of eyepieces if you look at HarrisonTelescopes for eyepiece sets there for sale @ £129.99

Once again many thank's to you all

Robert

Archived