NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with a "homemade star map" -I'm a newbie! Please!

I'm definitely extremely new around here (like a few hours old, haha) so I apologize if this thread needs to be moved or if there's something else I should be reading rather than posting this but really, this seems easiest. Anyways, my apologies.

My boyfriend is deployed to Afghanistan and soon after arriving, being the sweetheart that he is, he picked out a star that he can see out in the sky, especially around 9pm his time, that shines brighter than all the stars. He's told me about how he loves looking up at the stars, thinking of me.. ahh :(

This may be totally impossible, I really have no idea (together we plan on learning a heck of a lot more than we do now.. which is next to nothing about what we see up in that lovely night sky) but until then, I'm wondering if someone can help me out. Really, I just want to know if/what it may belong to. If it really is brighter than the others, how I can see this star here in North Carolina.. etc. He made me this star map, I attached the picture and on the left hand side there's a marking he has made and above it it says "bella" (bella is what he's nicknamed the star).

I really don't know what else to say, I'll apologize again if this is something like impossible or I've gone about this the wrong way but maybe if anything someone can point me in the right direction in regards to this! I'm excited!!

Thanks in advance! Happy Easter!!

PS- If it's any help, apparently this "bella" star is one of the brightest he sees at night. Ah, what a sweetheart!

post-19135-133877437864_thumb.jpg

Welcome to SGL

The key is the three stars labelled "Orion's belt". These point to a star called Sirius. It is in the constellation of Canis Major (the big dog) or CMa for short. Sirius is also called alpha CMa, being the brightest star in that constellation. It is also the brightest star in the entire sky (except the sun, of course).

My American geography is lousy. What latitude are you?

The sky appears to revolve around a point close to a star called Polaris (the pole star), which will always be the same height above the horizon as your latitude. So my latitude is 51N and Polaris is always 51 degrees above the horizon. The lowest point I can see in the sky are stars with a 'Declination' (that's like latitude for stars) of 39 degrees south (51 + 39 = 90). Sirius has a declination of almost 17S, so it gets a maximum of 22 degrees above the horizon for me. The lower your northern latitude, the higher it is in the sky, the more time it will be visible and the better it can be observed. It is being so bright and so low down that makes it 'twinkle'.

OK, wondered off point a bit. I think your best bet would be to download one of the free Planetarium software packages (Stellarium comes highly recommended on the forum), then you can set it up with your own location, it will then show you what is visible when. Don't have this software myself, but I would expect it to have a search facility and to be able to find objects by name 'Sirius' (Sorry to disappoint, but searching for 'Bella' at this point will not produce the desired result:D).

BTW Orion (with the belt) is a good starting point for finding many other constellations/objects in the sky, so it is well-worth being able to identify it - it's really easy with a distinctive shape - I have attached a picture I've just googled.

Hope some of this helps.

Now that you know where to look for Sirius and the orion's belt, it's a good time to use that as a reference and to discover other stars and group of stars (constellations).

Get yourself a simple star chart and go for it!

Wow.. I am soooo grateful for all these responses!! Thank you so, so much! I'll definitely be out there tonight looking for it! Gosh you guys are awesome- thanks for all the support!! Hopefully I can figure this out tonight since your guidance has been extraordinary! Ah thanks again!!

Hi Kcaputs,

A very warm welcome to SGL, you will be able to write to your boyfriend and tell him what you have found, a rather lovely question to ask on the forum by the way, may your boyfriend stay safe and sound.

John.

Kcaputs,

A very warm welcome from me too. I only joined a couple of weeks ago and have to say the help advice and encouragement offered is tremendous.:( I'm sure you'll find "Bella" and I hope it gives you comfort knowing your boyfriend will have seen it earlier. I wish him and all the troops out there "safe home".

Cheers

Steve

In the rainy North of Scotland

Archived