Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

William Optics ZS66 Semi Apo Opinions Please

Kai

Hello

I am looking for a grap and go scope for when i go camping and was wondering wether this might fit the bill.

Please can you give me your opinions and or recomendations

Many thanks

Ps i have a 8 inch Sct for at home but its a bit big to take camping

The WS66 is universally liked, certainly the reviews that appeared in the two British Astro publications, Sky at Night & Astronomy Now, both raved about it. Although they were testing the SD version, not the 4 element Petsval version. I think if you were aiming to use it for imaging as well, you may want to bypass the cheaper Petsval. The reviews i've seen and some reports on the web suggest the colour correction is not that good for the Petzval. But no such problems for SD or ED Triplet versions.

There are some cheaper alternatives available now that look identical. They are creeping onto Ebay for £150-160 for the Petzval version and go under the Scopos brand name. If you don't fancy dealing with Ebay, then Telescope Service in Germany sell this brand direct. It's worth noting that you can almost buy the 'SD Apo' version for the price of the Petzval ZS66. Scopos 66 Apo is £270. Here's a link:

http://www.telescope-service.com/scopos/start/scoposstart.html

Just a thought. :laugh:

Off course if money is no object there's always the Takahashi FS60C.

Regards

Russ

Just checking the price of the ZS66 Petsval and it is indeed the same price as the Scopos Apo 66. Both are £270. If the Scopos performs as Tommi says, then there's very little reason to chose the William Optics.

Russ

Archived