Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Porta and ED120

About a year ago i was looking into buying a Vixen 6" (something or other) scope on a porta mount. The OTA weighed in at just under or over 5 kilo. The Porta mount was sold as being ideal for the scope. Infact they were being sold as a package.

So i would say YES.

I DO like the look of the Porta.

Well, I've had a Porta and an Equinox 120, but not at he same time! Going from memory, I'd say the tube would overload the Porta, but I can't confirm that from actualy experience - only memory of the Porta's capability.

Maybe someone will prove me wrong...? :)

I used to use my Vixen ED102 on a Porta mount (mk 1) and it was fine but that OTA is particularly short and light - 24" long and 3.3 kg in weight. I tend to think the ED120 would be too much for the Porta to be honest.

I don't know about the Vixen but you may recall using my Skywatcher SkyTee Alt/Az last year at SGL4. I have since been able to mount the Meade AR6 6" frac on the SkyTee and as long as it was balanced well is was ok.

Are you coming down with Jamie again this year? If so, can you bring the scope with you and try it on the SkyTee?

Mark

I tried a 120ED on a portamount- way too much for it. Have now downscaled to the Evostar 102 which is just about ok. Makes a great grab and go- i leave it permanently setup and balanced with the binoviewers on.

Stephen

I've decided to go down the EQ5 route. It's for star parties and dark sites etc. so I don't have to take down the HEQ5 from the permanent set-up. The EQ5 will mean more lugging and set up, but more versatility because I can image.

Still, I wouldn't say no to an EZT....

Archived