A 6" F11 dob interesting.

I have to admit it's one I've thought about as it would be a very light weight and portable dob that would excel at planetary /lunar and should cool down very quickly.

The one in the test just has the 1/6PV mirror, not the 1/10 PV which is actually a cheap upgrade on an f/11 scope.

John

Looks good but for me it's expensive for what it is :). I've got an MN61 like the one on the review and I wouldn't be surprised if there's not much in it. But, I like to do my lunar and planetary observing on an EQ mount and the MN sits on a CG5 just fine, I wager the OO tube might be a bit more tricky due to the length of it.

Tony..

I saw that scope "in the flesh" when Ade Ascroft had it for review (he lived near me before his move to New Zealand) - the OTA was unbelievably spindly !.

I seem to recall that he also tried a Skywatcher 6" F/8 against it (it's reviewed on his web site I think) and the SW did very well considering the large price difference and focal ratio difference.

I always thought you got more benefit from the upgrade from 1/6th to 1/8th wave (or higher) optics in faster focal ratios ? - would it be worth at at F/11 ?

Ade later put the curved vane spider into the Skywatcher and the performance gap got even smaller. Considering you can pick these OTA's (the Skywatcher) up for under £100, they are quite an interesting prospect for the planetary observer on a budget.

I think that with the 1/10PV mirror it would match say an Equinox 120 or Meade 127 Triplet at nearly a third of the cost and would have absolutely zero CA and hardly any coma. Top end 5" APOs though would stil have the edge.

The base is about 10" square as I recall, and so it would fit away into a closet or perhaps behind a door.

John

£500 for a 6" Dob?

I'm no expert but that seems a tad expensive to me also.

Orion Optics scopes are pretty expensive compared to their Chinese counterparts, although there is no one else marketing a comparable product to the OO 6" F/11 as far as I know.

If bought new, my OO 10" F/4.8 optical tube would cost £659. It's a good scope but I would not give that for it TBH.

If you've not seen an OO dob mount in person they are very, very solid and made up from 10mm thick alloy plate and are probably capable of holding a few hundred Kg let alone a 6" OTA. None of this chipboard rubbish.

You have to remember that these are hand-built scopes that are made to order. The 1/10PV mirrors are nearly £300.00, the CNC alloy mount sells for about £250.00 on its own, and the crayford focuser would cost over £200.00 on it's own . Add all those up and the price for the deluxe version with 1/10PV optics isn't out of reason.

John

Nice looking scope, I might invest in one once I've moved house.

I was following this thread on cloudynights regarding a UK user and a planetary dob its quite long but worth a read.

Telescope Reviews: Super planetary 6 inch newtonian

Ahha.

Was chatting to Mike a couple of weeks ago, regarding his ideas of putting the orion optics 'super duper' main mirror, in a Tal 2M ota. Looks like he went ahead. Thanks for that link Kris.

Cheers,

Andy.

Archived