Eyepiece dewing?

Is there anything I can do to prevent eyepieces from fogging up? :)

The mirrors stay clear, but the eyepieces fog over quite quickly, particularly the 25 mm. Last obs I took it out of the scope and held onto the barrel for a few minutes until it warmed up and cleared, but surely there is a better solution?

Rik

I have found though that most dew issues are normally down to breathing close to the eyepeice...so not dew related at all.

Ummm. My nose & mouth are in fairly close proximity to my eyes & I can't avoid breathing for long without falling over. In any case EPs left in the holder on the scope seem to dew up too, and I don't breathe though my knees.

Best solution, short heater tape(s) to wrap round the EP(s) in common use, and a heated box to keep "spare " EPs in. You can heat 5 or 6 EPs for the same current draw as the heater strap for a 8" scope.

Make a heater mat from Nichrome wire, and stand the session eyepieces on it. Best if you have two of your more popular oculars though, so that you always have one usable.

You can forget that plan if you use Ethos EP's:D:D

I tend to keep my eyepieces in their foam lined case, next to the scope, with the lid shut when I'm not rummaging in there. The alluminum and foam of the case retains some of the heat from the house and therefore the eyepieces are a bit warmer than the scope, which seems to keep the dew off. Or at least thats my theory .... :)

I agree - always keep them covered when not in use (in a box/bag/case with a lid). If one steams over during use put it away and use a clear one - the steamed one will clear in the case as long as it's covered. Hand heat is usually enough to speed things up but you get a cold hand - a hair dryer is faster.

My theory is that the crucial thing is exposure of the glass to the sky - minimise that and you minimise the problem. And don't breathe on them.

I keep EPs I'm planning to use outside, in the EP rack, with the top covers on.

I keep the top cap of the EP in use in my pocket and cover it when I'm taking notes or deciding what to look at next.

I rarely get any dew on my EPs as long as I do this, but I don't get the low temperatures you guys get in the UK so maybe you need more extreme measures.

For me, the main cause of 'ep fog' is my hot little eyeball. :)

My DewBuster tapes work great, but sometimes i switch ep's a lot and it takes a while for the tape to warm them up. So i bought a fishing vest with oodles of pockets. It makes a handy ep warmer when worn under my coat. :mad:

Cardboard box with hole in side which takes the nozzle of hairdryer. EPs in foam cut out.

Intermittent bursts as required and just lift hairdryer when needed for Telrad /Corector plate duties.

Like Talitha I used to get problems from my hot wet s exy eye but find that if I use my glass one the EP will not fog....mind seeing is carp.

Archived