NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M108 and Owl Nebula

Catanonia

Managed to get about 3 hours on M108 and the Owl Nebula last night in one of the few recent clear skies.

I still have the bits missing out of the stars, down I think to the OAG and the size of the EOS 1000D Chip. It is in the optimum position directly above the CMOS chip, but still some interaction going on. I can only guess at the size of the CMOS chip is just kto big for the OAG.

Also got some stray light streaks in all subs, I think this was the cloudly ish skies and the moon being direcly opposite, not sure as never really had this problem before, but hey ho.

Anyway, here is what I got, not too happy, but the 1st image from me in ages.

M108 and Owl Nebula via ED120 Diamond F7.5, 900mm 3 hours in 10 min subs at ISO 800 on EQ6Pro

Guided with QHY5 / Lumicron OAG and PHD, processed in PS.

M108 and Owl.jpg

Very nice Steve. I especially like the Owl, theres loads of detail in that, including the three stars, and you seem to have lightened up on the processing a bit which has made the most of the picture without throwing detail away.

Nice one :)

Tim

Nicely famed Cat and some good detail in the owl. You may be able to get rid of some of the streaking by rotating the frame so the lines are vertical and then use noels tools vertical banding removal then rotate frame back.

Regards

Kevin

mmm, that topic and thread crossed my mind when processing, but couldn't remember the actions to take.

Will give this a go when I get back home tonight, cheers.

So much to admire in this! Do you sharpen the whole image? I would try only to sharpen the key objects, not the stars. And I too think the red is dominating because there is a lot of O111 in the Owl which is not showing its green hue.

Great composition as has been said. Bit of a winner, in other words...

Olly

Olly,

Used masking to sharpen the 2 DSO's only. Wasn't too sure about the colour, so might be a tad red. Going to give the processing another go with suggestions soon when I get time.

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Archived