NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Not a good buy .....

John

I spotted this ad for an 8" F/4 (!) newtonian on e.bay:

Telescope OPTICON 203F800EQ +maps +tripod, WARRANTY on eBay (end time 21-Apr-10 14:06:03 BST)

Much to beware of here I think but it does take the biscuit when they use pictures of Skywatcher scopes in their banner ! (with their brand name applied using Photoshop :))

OptiCON indeed !

The "chinglish" product descriptions kind of give it away about their Chinese origins, which I believe, is where Skywatcher are produced. Sure the leading brand will proof read all or most of the printed material, where as "Opticon" will rely on the totally nieve translations done by some 12 year old University of Wuhan graduate who has probably never even met a westerner.

That aside, I'm sure that the image and indeed the product are genuine.

....That aside, I'm sure that the image and indeed the product are genuine.

I've no doubt that the scope advertised is the one being sold. I was suprised to see pictures of what are clearly (to me) Skywatcher products used in the banner. I'd be very suprised if Synta (who make the scopes that are sold under the Skywatcher, Celestron, and Orion USA names) had anything to do with the manufacture of the scope that's being sold - it looks to me like it shares it's origins with Seben.

How thick are those spider vanes!! :)

I've never seen any like that on other 'astronomic instruments' I thought they used 'novel technology, based on the precise computer calculations.' :mad:

Archived