Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar X is out tonight..

Doc

Doc, you outgun me... I am guessing you are not using your Tal?! I am using a 5" achromat (with yellow filter) at 120x. The Hygenius Rille was very clear, but the others seem to be a bit small for my current setup. To finish the lunar100 I need a bigger scope... though not sure how big is really needed, I like to keep the image bright (I like the crisp contrast).

Michael, can we have an animation of the emergence of the X.....

Check the Cloudynights post, gives times it's about again... a month or 2 in the evening.... good for us UK observers!

Cheers

PEterW

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doc, you outgun me... I am guessing you are not using your Tal?! I am using a 5" achromat (with yellow filter) at 120x. The Hygenius Rille was very clear, but the others seem to be a bit small for my current setup. To finish the lunar100 I need a bigger scope... though not sure how big is really needed, I like to keep the image bright (I like the crisp contrast).

Michael, can we have an animation of the emergence of the X.....

Check the Cloudynights post, gives times it's about again... a month or 2 in the evening.... good for us UK observers!

Cheers

PEterW

No Peter the TAL would struggle I was using the 16" Dob. I've even seen Rima Sheepshanks with it and according to VMA you need a 20" minimum so the Triesnecker rilles were pretty easy.

What do you mean when you say "I like to keep the image bright (I like the crisp contrast)." I may be wrong but dobs give a wonderful crisp and contrasty view.

With a 16" you need welding goggles, it's like staring into a searchlight! Doc, what power are you using for your general lunar observing with the 16". I trust that the mirror is a good on then. I keep my 120mm to around 120x (5mm), I can go higher, but the image dims and I don't get that 'high contrast' view that I like so much. (exit pupil approx 1mm... for those technically minded).

Cheers

PEterW

PS Sorry, knew I;d seen the table somewhere.... mental note to check references before sending people to the 'competition'!

With a 16" you need welding goggles, it's like staring into a searchlight! Doc, what power are you using for your general lunar observing with the 16". I trust that the mirror is a good on then. I keep my 120mm to around 120x (5mm), I can go higher, but the image dims and I don't get that 'high contrast' view that I like so much. (exit pupil approx 1mm... for those technically minded).

Cheers

PEterW

PS Sorry, knew I;d seen the table somewhere.... mental note to check references before sending people to the 'competition'!

It is bright Peter but the Neodymium filter cuts it down a fair bit. As for magnifications my main eyepiece is the 16 Uwan that gives me x114, I use this one the most but for higher mags I have the following.

7 Uwan x261, 4 Uwan x457. And the one I use the most on close up moon work is my 6mm UO Ortho this gives me x 304.

I had no idea this was visible last night (I'd heard of it before but didn't know what it looked like! I was out looking the Moon recording a few AVIs, and spotted the shape shown above and thought - "that is neat looking" lol. It might in advertently be on some on my AVIs!

Michael, can we have an animation of the emergence of the X. ...

PEterW

Yes Peter, that's the plan. However there are two obstacles to be overcome first.

1) I first have 18 GB of data spread across 34 AVIs to process.

2) I have to work out how to produce an animation.

To quote Dr Oates - I may be some time!

Btw, here are a few other lighting phenomena to look for on the same night as the Lunar X. :mad:

The more noticable one is a 'V' shape pointing to the (lunar) NE, with crater Ukert just outside of it's western edge.

The other one's a bit harder to pick out in the image, but it looks good in the eyepiece. It's supposed to resemble a snailshell, but all i've ever seen (even with the 8"SCT) is what appears to be concentric doughnuts. Their rounded appearance was clearly visible that night through the refractor... interesting feature. :headbang:

(Apologies for the horrid :) image.. it's an un-tweaked single shot taken in full sunlight through an f/5 120ST.)

post-13732-133877436008_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

My favorite topic! This is my first visit here but will be back shortly. I have found that using 1.2 sun alt over crater Werner is a very nice way to predict the start of the Lunar X...

dana t

Archived