Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SynScan handset on supertrack mount ?

bigal1

Hi all , i'm sure this question has been asked before but i cannot find any information about it . I was wondering if i could fit a SynScan handset to my supertrack mount on my skymax 127 mak and turn it into a GoTo .

Thanks

The answer is yes... sort of. Read this article and you will see that turning the Supatrak mount into a goto mount is possible. How to turn a Supatrak mount into a goto mount. The components are fairly cheap, you need a RS232 TTL level converter and Stellarium or similar to driver the mount.

An alternative is a bluetooth module from Ursa Minor, available from 365 astronomy

Peter

Excellent thanks for the links , the bluetooth module is very tempting . Am i correct in thinking this is the only way to convert to GoTo and i cannot just plug in the SynScan handset ?

I am not an expert but as far as I can see the the supertrak mount may work with the hand set from orion.

look at posting #68 on this thread

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/85173-goto-skywatcher-flextube-auto-dobs-reality-3.html

where are you located have you got someone close by who will try there hand set on you mount?

Its looking like this could be the case , just found the same question being asked on another forum and this was the outcome .

" Have just found out that the synscan handset works fine with alti/azm mount that comes with the skymax 127 having just purchased another scope and mount with goto synscan and tried them out. "

If i can find a cheap handset i may just give this a go .

I just invested in and Alt/AZ mount with SynScan goto so I can switch the handset with my dob. Hopefully it'll just plug in and be transformed. It arrives tomorrow so I'll let you know if it's a reallity - I'm sure johninderby has it right - allways seems to know what he's talking about ;)

You CAN just plug in a synscan handcontroller and it will make it goto!! I had a supertrak and a goto mount at the same time and changed the contollers over and it all worked fine!! Not sure if the mount i kept was the syntrek or to goto for that matter but i have a synscan hand set in it and it works fine!!!

You can get the alt/az handsets new on their own but they're only 10 or 20 quid short of the price with a mount, or 30-50 short with a basic scope on them. Known as "Replacement Handsets" (I was informed by a retailer last w/e). But better value s/h I reckon if you don't want the other stuff ;)

Archived