Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's my birthday and i'll cry if i want to.

Ok so it's my birthday next week (26th Mar) and my mother has given me her credit card to buy anything i want online for upto the value of 100 euro. There are a few DVD boxsets i want but some are not available right now and i can pick them up myself in any music/dvd store in Dublin if and when.

WHAT i REALLY would like for my birthday is a set of solar filters for my 20X90 bins. I know i wont get a set for 100 euro but i am prepared to foot the extra cost myself........................say an additional 100 euros..............bringing the total up to 200 euro (or less if possible).

I do not want to mess about with cutting and sizing Baddar astro solar filter sheets and housing them in cardboard. I want something that i can simply put on the 90mm (there may be a few extra mm on the bins that house the 90mm lens???) objective lens of my 20X90 Strathspey Bins.

I will even settle for a good solar filter just for one of the objective lens..............................although if i can afford it it would be nice to observe the sun in "stereo".

I dont trust glass solar filters so forget those.

Another option is a solar filter for a Canon 450D DSLR.

My main scope is a SW Heritage 130P.......................i have a LP filter /moon filter for it but if there is any other filter you think may benefit me.............suggest those also.

Maybe even a nice finderscope that can be added to my SW Heritage

Suggestions/links PLEASE.

Many thanks.

Sounds like you are very keen on Solar observation.

That being the case, why don't you put the money aside, both your Mums gift, and your own to match, then gradually add to it until you can afford a PST. Unless of course you prefer to use your Binos on the sun.

Ron.;)

Luke, it's really no hassle to make a solar filter from Baader solar film. Considering the cost of the film against the cost of bought ones. I've made 2 already from the roll which finally arrived, they take just a few minutes to create. If you are prepared to hang on until I return to UK, I'll even make the filter discs for you, then send you them for final fitment.

Luke, it's really no hassle to make a solar filter from Baader solar film. Considering the cost of the film against the cost of bought ones. I've made 2 already from the roll which finally arrived, they take just a few minutes to create. If you are prepared to hang on until I return to UK, I'll even make the filter discs for you, then send you them for final fitment.

Yeti that is a very blumming nice offer but i seriously would not want to impose myself on anyone like that. Yes it would be a very cheap option.....but i would not feel right about it.

I have in the past made a solar filter for my 90mm scope from astro solar and cardboard. It took me 3 hrs and it is not the best quality. I personally dont want to go through that again.

However i WILL keep your offer in mind if i dont find anything else i want. I would love solar filters for my bins though.

look on telescope planet they have pst binos under 200 quid

I've got a pair of the small coronado binomites but I much prefer the solar film over standard binos! So I wouldn't recommend them. (A proper PST is really great though, if you could save up.)

If you don't fancy making your own how about these Altair Astro Nature Optics CATALOG - Astronomy Telescopes & SkyShed POD Observatory equipment UK & Europe

Helen

I've got a pair of the small coronado binomites but I much prefer the solar film over standard binos! So I wouldn't recommend them. (A proper PST is really great though, if you could save up.)

If you don't fancy making your own how about these Altair Astro Nature Optics CATALOG - Astronomy Telescopes & SkyShed POD Observatory equipment UK & Europe

Helen

Helen could i order two of these to fit my 20X90 bins?

Would they fit my bins? The lens are 90mm.....................would the binocular casing be within the 95mm limit?

If so.......................i'll order 2 of them right now.

Hi paul, happy birthday.

have you thought about hydrogen alpha filters? expensive, but to see the granulation on the surface would be awesome.

I have a filter that allows me to see the sun spots/seasons on the sun but am slowly saving for a ha filter.

All the best with your choices and for your birthday,

john

I've decided to forget the solar filters for binoculars for now. Instead i have found a very good and cheap (but SAFE) way to make a solar filter for my DSLR.

I found a Cokin filter starter kit for sale in Dublin camera shop (less then 50 euro). It will fit my 450D. I can then buy a sheet solar filter from FLO (they have never let me down yet so i'm sticking with them) and cut it to size and place it in the filter holder (with a bit of blu-tac or sticky tape and maybe a thin piece of card..........BLUE PETER STYLE).

BTW~~~i have also found a set of ready made (aluminium casing) solar filters for 90mm bins for $79. FLO also sell them (i didnt know that before today) for roughly the same price.

Just waiting to hear back from FLO if the ones they sell for the 90EXT scope will fit my bins (its all about OD).

Anywhoo....................if i pull off the solar filter fot the DSLR..............it will give me courage to once again attempt to make one (or two) for my scope/bins.

I am just so totally useless at arts and craft and DIY..........it aint funny.

Still thinking of picking up a finderscope for my 130P. Gonna see if the one available from FLO will suit.

Hi paul, happy birthday.

have you thought about hydrogen alpha filters? expensive, but to see the granulation on the surface would be awesome.

I have a filter that allows me to see the sun spots/seasons on the sun but am slowly saving for a ha filter.

All the best with your choices and for your birthday,

john

Hi John. Thanks for the birthday wishes. To be honest..........as fasinated as i am with our own star, i am more then happy just to observe it in white light and maybe pick out a sunspot or two. It really isnt something i have enough interest in to invest much money in (although when you compare the ratio of cloudy nights to clear days..................i wonder why more of us are not solar observers).

Archived