Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spring 2010 Star Party at Kelling Heath

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got back this afternoon. The weather was really good, with fri and sat night both clear. Sat was better because fri was not that good for transparency, but I still ended up just gawping at the amount of stars I could see. On sat I bagged loads of galaxies I would never see from home. I pointed the scope towards the Virgo cluster and was amazed at the number of galaxies peppered about. I didn`t get to meet everyone, but I had a good chat with Brantuk, nice to see you and I hope the weather stays good for you. I managed to do a few sketches, and I might even post one or two if you`re lucky ( or unlucky!)

Another gr8 turn out for Kelling Heath and it only being the spring party. It seems to be getting more popular year by year with pitches being booked as soon as their on sale. Stroll on Autumn.

I arrived on Tuesday, It gives me time to set up camp but the weather was as crud as it can be there with clouds wall to wall most of the time. I never even set my scope up.

However, Friday was a different matter. I could feel the warmth of the sun shining down early morning and thought this is the day to play. This is when the feel good factor really starts to kick in, So after breakfast and a few beers, I got straight into putting my scope together hoping, but secretly knowing that tonight will be a good 'un. It was. Stars all night with a low but pretty good milky way. Wonderful.

Saturday came and another gr8 day. Warm with lovely blue skies and a good turn out for vendors selling their wares. Was I sucked in ? Of course I was with a small purchase of a 24mm Radian and some bits and pieces.

As night fell, The stars came out to play once more, but personally, I found Friday night to be better as high altitude ash came and went in banks Saturday night, slightly dimming the stars for 10 mins or so at a time.

I know there was a couple of SGLrs there and apologise to those I was unable to catch up with.

All the best till next time and clear skies until then.

OK

First of all - my apologies to anyone who posted after we left for Kelling - noteably Stevewell and Moon Plodger, and also to anyone I didn't get round to meeting at the event. Hopefully we'll meet up next time.

I did manage to get round most people who answered this thread though, and what a great bunch of people to meet. Special thanks to Malc who showed me my first globlar clusters - great hanging out with ya mate - and Percy who helped me collimate the dob - and Brian who gave me some great tips for aligning my wedge.

It was all too short meeting Patrick, Phil, Fay, Steve, Bob, Kevin, David (who helped me empty the bank buying his v.nice WO doublet) and everyone else I didn't mention.

We had one good observing night during a stopover at Wisbech on the way, and three good nights at Kelling (though we got dewed up on one of them). Most of our observing was through other peoples scopes - including my first comet in Andrews 20" dob "cannon" and some great solar views of the current activity.

The trade stands were fatal for the wallet as usual - but all in all a smashing trip amongst a great bunch of new friends.

As the missus said - "it aint often you're happy for a total stranger to knock at the door and wake you up at three in morning". lol

Here's to doing it again in the autumn ;)

Archived