Whats best ?

Evening all, I have a budget of £100 for some binos. I'm a complete newbie and currently have some Meade 10x50's.

My question is : would a pair of revelation 20x80's or celestial 15x70's be my best bet ?

Any other advice or models would be cool. I have a tripod also.

Thanks in advance.

Al

When investing in BIG bins................apeture is king (as it is in scopes). You already have a tripod so that is not an issue.

The best bang for buck will certainly be the Revelation 20X80. The Revelation 20X80 bins won a recent S@N test of BIG bins for quality V's price.

I know a couple of people who have the Revelation 20X80 bins and totally LOVE them.

I recenty bought a pair of 25x100s that obviously need a tripod, once the novelty wore off I found I wasn't getting a great deal of use out of them.

Its not so much the need to set up a tripod that puts me off, its the eye piece angle/ position when the bins are on a tripod. I'll probably go back to a pair of 15x70s in the summer that can be hand held or put on a tripod, I'm not sure 20x80s are OK for hand holding and that would be a big factor of me.

15x70 are cheap and definitely hand holdable. I agree with the comments about the heavier bins, with a tripod you can't look at high angles without getting neck ache... or buying/building a parallelogram mount.

Cheers

PEterW

I second bunnys comments - the Celestron 15x70's are great - especially on a tripod with adapter. I also had a look through the Revelations recently and they are smashing too. You can't go wrong with either really :headbang:

Archived