NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Galaxy triplet in Leo - NGC 3607, NGC 3608 and NGC 3605

DarkerSky

16" Lightbridge

Magnification x215

LM. 5.2

Pencils: 3H, 2H, H

This is a stunning triplet in a narrow field of view roughly midway between Delta and Theta Leonis.

NGC 3607 is the brightest galaxy in this image. It is a Mag 10 elliptical with a distinct core brightening. NGC 3608 is the smaller galaxy below it. It is Mag 11 and again an elliptical, but noted as being slightly elongate. It too had a central brightening.

NGC 3605 is the fainter smudge just off the south (top) of NGC 3607. This one lacked structure, but at Mag 13 I am just very pleased to have seen it !! :headbang:

NGC3607TripletMar7th.png

Lovely drawings DarkerSky. I remember observing these when I had my 355mm Dob. Also nearby M65/66, which I observed last night with my 150mm refractor, its been many years since I took a look at the latter. I well remember being able to see M65/66 with 10x50 binoculars from our town centre, no chance now with the light pollution.

That's a wonderful drawing Darker sky. An extremely good impression of what can be seen with that 16".

I was doing my best to find 3607 last night but gave up. Had a real struggle finding M95/96, so decided 3607 was beyond my scope/skies i had last night.

Russ

Archived