NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon just kept moving ?

johnb

Hi

I was trying to image the moon last night but the image on the laptop screen was just racing across the screen, , when I set up I did a 3 star alignment but im assuming this effect was caused by not having a decent polar alignment ?

Regards

John B

If it was "racing across the screen" I wouldn't think it was just an alignment issue... sound more like a drive issue. Flat battery giving no RA drive?

When you use an eyepiece do you have the same problem?

Which camera were you using? - a webcam is the "equivalent" of using a 6mm eyepiece......

Ken

( I image the Sun using a very rough and ready alignment. With the DMK ( same size chip as a webcam) I'll get some north/ south drift during say a 3 min exposure, but nothing that can't be controlled with a quick press of the arrow buttons...)

I found the tracking options

Sid. Rate: This activates tracking in Sidereal rate (R.A. Tracking).

Lunar Rate: This activates tracking in Lunar rate (R.A. Tracking).

Solar Rate: This activates tracking in Solar rate (R.A. Tracking).

PEC + Sidereal Rate: Sidereal rate with Periodic Error Compensation.

So I guess if Im imaging the moon I chosse Lunar Rate, how about mars or Saturn Solar ?

Regards

John B

Archived