8" Dob or Explorer 150P?

Hi all,

I've posted here before when I was choosing a scope for a Christmas gift and found the replies very helpful!

It's got to the point where I'm cursing NOT having a scope of my own when there's dark skies every night, and I'm now at a point where I would like to purchase one.

I've currently got it down to two choices, the raved about Explorer 150P, or the Skyliner 200P Dob... which would you choose, and why?

Thanks,

Craig.

For me it would be the 8" dobsonian. It's simple to operate, has good all around observing potential, at F/6 is a little kinder to low cost eyepieces and easier to keep in collimation. The best "bang for your buck" in scopes I reckon.

I'm speaking as someone who is not too keen on equatorial mounts (I have one and hardly use it) and a visual observer.

Those are two excellent scopes with pros and cons for both. I would choose the Skyliner 200P in a heart beat. It sets up in a moment, has plenty of aperture for all targets, at f6 it's a nice planetary scope, the dob is so easy to use and move around the sky. It can be mounted on a suitable mount at any time, mine sits happily on an EQ5 when i want some tracking. On the downside, the tube is 1200mm long, there's no tracking while dob based and er well that's it.

The 150P has excellent optics too, a short lightweight tube, can be left fully setup and carried around as a whole if space allows. The EQ3 is a nice mount for that tube and motors can be added for tracking.

But the 200P will do everything better, no harder to setup or move round. And a secondhand EQ5 with drives won't cost much at a later date.

Russ

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies guys! I guess FLO will be getting an order within an hour or two!

Just another quick question - Mars is VERY bright at the moment, and I'd love to get a good look at it. If I get the 200P (which I'm 99% sold on!) what else could I do with, a 2x/3x/4x Barlow? I guess with the supplied lenses I'll see nothing more than I see now with my naked eye?

Thanks,

Craig.

Got to be the dob but you could always save up for a 250p! :eek:

The EQ3 is a decent mount but the aluminium tripod under it would drive you potty I reckon. Much better to pick up an EQ5/CG5 with steel legs for the dob if you want to go equatorial at a later date. I think once you get used to the dob an equatorial mount would drive you potty anyhow.

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies guys! I guess FLO will be getting an order within an hour or two!

Just another quick question - Mars is VERY bright at the moment, and I'd love to get a good look at it. If I get the 200P (which I'm 99% sold on!) what else could I do with, a 2x/3x/4x Barlow? I guess with the supplied lenses I'll see nothing more than I see now with my naked eye?

Thanks,

Craig.

Just go with the supplied eyepieces for now. The 10mm and 2x barlow will give 240x, which is great for Mars......providing the seeing allows. Collimation will also be critical for high power viewing. I think a lot of posts that say they couldn't see this or that are due to poor collimation and poor seeing, not the kit.

Would be worth ordering a collimation cap or chesire eyepiece with the scope. The collimation cap is dirt cheap and won't really add to the cost. As i said above, collimation is absolutely critical. Without good collimation it won't matter what eyepieces you have.

Oh, don't forget patience. Mars needs plenty of it. The details won't be immediately apparent but will appear with prolonged viewing.

Russ

Unfortunately no barlow is shipped with the dob, just a 10mm and a 25mm... :D:eek:

oh, they must have changed the included accessories. It used to include the 2x Deluxe barlow which was an okay barlow. :o

In which case, Mars will be a struggle with just the 10 and 25. I'm going to PM you with a suggestion. :evil6:

Russ

A 7mm eyepiece works well with the 8" F/6 dob for planetary viewing but do remember what's been said in this post and many others about Mars being a very challenging object - it is and it's receding from us now so getting smaller - the details like the ice cap and surface markings are challenging even for seasoned observers.

Saturn is rising earlier each night now and will be very impressive even with the standard 10mm eyepiece in the 8" dob - much less likely to underwhelm !.

I have the Skywatcher 200mm F/6 Dobsonian but have mounted it on a Vixen GP-E (Celestron CG5) motorised equatorial mount.

Optically the telescope is very good indeed and I regularly use it to observe Mars at x250 to x300. I have posted several drawings with this setup in the sketches section on this forum.

You really need an equatorial mount if you want to do serious planetary observing without frustration.

Eyepieces - I use a x2 Celestron Ultima Barlow with a Televue 8-24mm zoom lens, giving x100 to x300. I find the TV zoom to be very sharp indeed.

If you have dark skies then the 8" will be worth buying over the 6". A 10" will be better still but it's heavier.

Overall though the 8" F/6 is a good compromise between weight, performance and cost and is really easy to keep in collimation.

HTH

The above advice is most commendable and compelling but...... are we overlooking the fact of another scope purchase = cloudy skies for prolonged periods!!!?

May be it's 'good' to take 'time' over a purchase!! lol

LOL, very true. Bought my Dad a scope at Xmas, and he's only had TWO clear nights - whereas me with no scope looks up to an inky black sky with millions of crisp bright stars 4 nights out of 7!!!

Thanks guys for all your assistance! Put in the order to FLO a few minutes ago for the 8" Dob!!! Can't blumming wait!!! I also apologise in advance for all the clouds that will descend on the Midlands within the next couple of days!

Thanks guys for all your assistance! Put in the order to FLO a few minutes ago for the 8" Dob!!! Can't blumming wait!!! I also apologise in advance for all the clouds that will descend on the Midlands within the next couple of days!

hehe hopefully it will drag some of the cloud and rain away from the South Coast :eek:

I have to say that if you bought one for a present, I would be asking which one you bought in that case and suggested a similar mount since it would share a learning curve with yourself and whoever you bought the present for.

I bought an Explorer 130P for my Dad as a Christmas present, which is on an EQ2 mount I believe. Unfortunately the folks like ~100 miles away, so he'd be on his own with the learning curve anyway...

Another reason that swayed my decision for a Dob was my daughter is only 4 and should be able to take a look with minimal effort - I'm keen to show her the wonders of the universe at a young age - I think she'll be mesmorised!

Just another vote on the dob for the following reasons:

Pros:

- Bigger aperture

- Setup time reduced to a minimum (1 or 2 minutes)

- Ease of use

- Steadier mount on windy conditions

- Comfortable EP position to look while sitting

Cons:

- Lack of tracking (easy to live with, IMO)

- Lack of goto (can be a plus if you enjoy learning your way around the sky)

Archived