Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help...Which do I go for?

Dear all,

I am very interested in investing in a telescope. I have rounded it down to two I like the most but I am unsure which one is better.

I am not 100% sure what the details imply and I just want to know which is better generally.

If you could help explaining the details, I would be very greatful.

I just want to know, for e.g, ''Do not buy this one...because...''

I like the simply honest truth ;)

Here are the links to the two that I am interested in

Explorer-130m 130mm 5.1 F/900 Motorised Newtonian Reflector - Ovl10713 - Reflector - Telescopes - by

and

Explorer 150P Eq3 2 6 Newtonian Reflector Telescope - Ovl912/448 - Reflector - Telescopes - by

Please help me...Thank you very much!!

MadgieEm

Hi, Sorry I should explain better.

Drives will keep the object you find in the Field of View - but you have to find them first.

Yes you can buy them on their own.

Have a word with the retailer, you'll probably be able to get a small discount by buying them all together.

Generally the bigger the mirror / lens the better - but as they get bigger they get harder to move around. The 150P is a good scope to start with, it'll keep you going for a while. I actually have one right now.

Ant

Is there a huge difference between a single axis drive and a dual axis drive?

The single axis drive only moves the mount to compensate for the Earth's rotation, this drive is normally known as an RA drive (Right Accession drive). The dual axis drive will move the mount in two axis, right accession and declination. The declination drive is not as important as the RA drive.

Peter

Would you then suggest buying from a retailer shop and not on-line in that case? I am not sure of any near by retailers or know of any.

I notice that you are in Hertfordshire, Depending where abouts in Herts you live, Green Witch is just outside of Cambridge, and you have Scopes N Skies near to Ely Cambs.

Couple of things; the extra aperture is not about magnification. Telescopes in astronomy do 2 things; they make small things look bigger and they make faint things look brighter. The latter is what large aperture is about. M101, a galaxy in the handle of the plough, is the size of the full moon - but you can't see it. It needs to be made brighter more than it needs to be made bigger.

The single drive to RA is all you need for visual observing, really. It will keep the object in the eyepiece for a ong time and the odd manual adjustment to declination will not trouble you. Such an adjustment will arise from the mount not being perfectly polar aligned. Again, for visual use this is not an issue.

Olly

Archived