Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focuser upgrade query

Hi All,

I have a Celestron 80ED and was wondering if anyone has upgraded their focuser to the WO Crayford focuser? If so, what are your thoughts?

I'm thinking of getting the new focuser as the default R&P it comes with is a bit hit and miss at higher powers, so I could do with something a bit more refined.

Also, if I do go with the upgrade, would I also see any benefit in upgrading to a 2" diagonal too, probably the WO 2" Dielectric? I have to admit this thought is coming from my photography background of bigger diameter=more light gathering=faster shutter speed, i.e less star trails???

Please be honest and tell me if I am completely off the ball with these ideas, but if I don't ask, I'll never know...

Many thanks

Ian

The Celestron C80 ED needs a focuser that will thread onto it's tube. Unfortunately no one else uses this size thread so you will need to get an adaptor specifically for the C80. Agena Astro in the US are the only ones who make such an adaptor. Then you can fit any crayford focuser with an 86mm fitting (uses three screws to hold it on).

http://www.agenaastro.com/Agena-Crayford-Adapter-for-Celestron-C80ED-p/paf-ag-c80ed.htm

Your other alternative is to get a Moonlight focuser as they do one specifically to fit the C80, but it will set you back a few hundred quid.

John

Yes it's the same one. If you look on the Agena Astro site there is quite a bit of detail on the subject.

The WO and other similar focusers are for a 96mm fitting and the smaller 86mm fitting ones are a bit harder to find, but they are still out there if you look for them.

John

FLO sell a Moonlite focuser (or they did when we discussed this last year sometime) specifically for the C80ED. Out of my price range at the moment, so I've opted for packing the drawtube with teflon tape in the meantime, and it makes a huge difference.

The only places i could find still selling that size crayford were Agena and Telescope Service.

Agena sell the adapter and 86mm fitting Crayford. So you could order it all from them but may incur an import tax bill with it, 21% of the total purchase price including the delivery. Looking at $180 delivered + 21%, so approx $220 all in. Or £142 approx. Which is a lot cheaper than a Moonlite and a fair bit cheaper than the option below.

TS in Germany also sell a crayford that has an 86mm flange but they want 149euro plus delivery. And you then have the adapter price on top. So probably getting close to the £200 mark.

In fairness to TS, they are selling the dual speed version where as the Agena model is single speed only. They want an additional $50 for the dual speed.

Russ

Hi Nadeem,

Yep, found your post about your upgrade and all the issues you had. So it was a scary moment when I was about to try and unscrew mine.

I think I have a good one as I needed more effort to open the milk for a cuppa afterwards! No resistance whatsoever!

Now for the dilema...Moonlite or GSO and adapter...

Archived