Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Daft Question, 1.25" vs 2"

If you take say a 32mm 1.25 plossl eyepiece, and you take a 32mm 2" eyepiece, I realise the field of view would be wider, but, here's the stupid question, do you get a better quality of image with maybe more definition in the 2" because in effect it lets more light up it's hole that the 1.25 OR, is that extra bit of light it gets distributed across the wider field in effect making the quality of view the same but more of it?

If the eyepieces are the same design ie Plossls then the FOV will be the same...they are both about 50 degree AFOV.

Depending on the scope and the magnification there can be some benefits in using a very low power 2" eyepiece. But the exit pupil is still limited to 7mm by the eye. ( Exit pupil = telescope aperture/ magnification)

6mm (or more usually 7mm) exit pupil is *max* recommended, not min. You use that to find the *minimum* mag your scope (or rather eye) can handle, which for your 135mm scope is indeed about x20 (the rearranged equation being mag = aperture/exit-pupil).

6mm will be the recommended or optimum, not absolute minimum.

As the optimum performeance of the scope will be when mag=dia (mm) it would seem that they are aimed at the 1mm exit pupil.

It is all just a choice. If you do not want to go below a 6mm exit pupil then you will need a much bigger scope.

You will get a wider true field of view with the 2" eyepiece. It depends on the focal ratio of your scope whether the stars are nicely defined in the last 20% or so of that field - fast scopes challenge budget widefield eyepieces more !.

The 2" it self doesn't give an advantage.

It only expands the width of the barrel allowing engineers to make EPs with wider AFOVs for the same EP focal lenght. For example (if memory doesn't fail) the widest AFOV possible on a 1.25" 30mm EP is around 50 degrees. While a 30mm 2" EP can go up to 82 degrees or so.

In other words: you can't buy an 82 degress, 30mm 1.25" EP, even if you have all the money in the world, cause it's physically impossible to build. You can however find them in 2".

Thanks for that PVAZ, So it only widens field really, I thought maybe because it had a bigger hole, more light could get in and the view may be improved, logical thinking really.

I can understand that logic !.

It's aperture though that captures more light, resolution, contrast etc. The eyepiece just magnifies what has been collected by the primary mirror or lens.

The whole reason behind all this is that when i bought my scope i got an antares eyepiece kit, one of the eyepieces is a 32mm plossl and i have to say I really like it, my fave object at the mo is pleides, also i'm trying more with orion nebula, double cluster etc, and just really liking the view that 32 gives me. For planetary i bought a baader hyperion 8mm and the tuning rings which i love, was just trying to work out how best to improve my 32mm viewing.

Archived