Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Meade ETX -LS

StarCatcha

Two parcels arrived today heralding the arrival of my new Meade ETX-LS. Aa 6" Schmidt-Cassegrain that claims 'This changes everything'

The Scope and tripod were both foam packed to reduce the chances of damage in transit. After carefully opening both boxes I was a little shocked to discover there was no manual - merely a Quick Start guide. Further exploration of the box revealed a CD-ROM that I correctly assumed would give me access to the full manual (an internet connection is required for this however)

My heart sank a little as I quickly read the Quick Start guide . It is broken down into an easy to follow numbered sequence with clear and concise diagrams. My worries started when I read number One. In bold letters it states the following Do Not Set Up Right Next To A Building Or A Wall I have a 10 foot wall in my garden and I live in a building! I pushed my doubts to the back of my mind and took the tripod outside.

The tripod is sturdy and simple to erect. Two screws lock each of the legs in place, but there is no spirit level to aid in levelling so a 'best guess' sufficed. The Scope itself bolts to the tripod via 3 screws on the tripod. I had some trouble getting them to all seat firmly but am unsure whether this was caused by my eagerness to get the scope set up or poor design and alignment. So I will come back to them at a later date.

Once the two parts were securely together I attached the AutoStar III handset, removed the dustcover from both the scope and the attached CCD camera and awaited darkness. As soon as I was able to see a couple of stars I turned on the scopes power switch. It's a solid feeling switch that felt firm and up to the job. The handset powered up and I was more than a little surprised when the scope 'told me' it was searching for satellites! The scope has an American voice explaining what it is doing - It is easily muted via the handset but I left it on to listen to what was happening.

Once the satellites were found the scope informed me it was locating North. It duly slewed round at a good pace and did as it had said.

I was then informed it would attempt to locate an alignment Star. Betelgeuse flashed up on the handset and the scope slewed back toward the South. Once in the rough area the handset informed it was slewing and I had a peek through the supplied 25mm eyepiece. Sure enough Betelgeuse swung into view. I was informed the onboard CCD had located the Star and it was now searching for another. The handset flashed up Dubhe and the scope then slewed North before stopping directly in front of our Cobnut Tree!

After a minute or so I was politely informed the alignment Star could not be found and it was attempting to find another. Alpheratz lit up the display and the scope once more slewed off for another crack. The scope had no trees in its way this time and quickly aligned itself. I was then informed my alignment was good and to enjoy my nights viewing!

I was offered a tour of the night sky, but as cloud cover was rolling in I opted to have a peek at Mars instead. This is simplicity itself with the handset. I simply selected - Planets - Mars - GOTO and within a few quiet moments the Red Planet was squarley in the centre of the eye-piece. Seeing was very poor so I had a brief look before selecting Messier objects and choosing M45. Pleiades then duly swung into view. The clouds were against me so after a short peek I quickly selected M42. Again the smooth sounding gears whirred and The Orion Nebula crept firmly into the centre of my vision.

Throughout these selections I was given a Multimedia voice over explaining what I was about to view that even included a musical score. I found it mildly amusing and more than a little cheesy - but I have no doubt it would impress those new to the hobby as well as educate them.

Alas the clouds conspired against me and I reluctantly put the scope into park mode before taking it down. My first impressions are very good. The ETX-LS found objects with minimal fuss and was a pleasure to set up. I look forward to viewing the Moon with it, as well as my old friend Saturn, so I can review the scopes optics.

From what I've seen so far I am duly impressed and this may well indeed change everything!

Great review, it sounds like the scope makes setup and alignment very easy. I expect the views through the 6" SCT will be good as well.

Regarding imaging, am I correct in thinking that the imaging camera has it's own lens and doesn't image through the main scope?

I gave this scope serious consideration before going for the cpc.

As I live in Luton with massive amounts of LP - I would have to have a scope that was portable and quick to set-up...and this scored high in my list as I was researching scopes for over a month.

Really good review, it looks like a very good capable scope with lots of features and for a portable astronomer must be very handy.

Chris

Regarding imaging, am I correct in thinking that the imaging camera has it's own lens and doesn't image through the main scope?

The scope does indeed have a seperate imaging camera located below the tube. But I think it's more for alignment purposes than taken images - although I will give it a crack!

I've just been given a Meade LPI camera so once my Laptop is repaired I'll get some images uploaded.

Archived