Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mounting separate camera/ guider on Dec Shaft??

Merlin66

Has anyone come up with an elegant solution to mounting a guide scope/ camera on the Dec shaft ( or the clutch housing) of a HEQ mount?

In the Ol' days we used to hang 200mm f4 telelens with the OM-1 for wide field stuff off the dec axis using blocks and clamps.....

A more "robust" solution would effectively give you a pretty solid "dual" bar and help with the balancing at the same time......

Maybe a redesigned Dec shaft which would still screw into the mount ( or a plate welded to a length of 18mm bar?) but with a "centre" plate section to mount dovetails/ 1/4" camera ball/ socket and then a length of standard 18mm diameter bar for the counterweights?

Would make a nice compact solution? You could have multiple cameras/ scopes all over the place!!

Hmmmm Looks like someone has (once again!) beat me to the idea!

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p229_Befestigung-fuer-Kameras---Zub--an-der-Gegengewichtsstange.html

Ken

Hmmm,

I saw that comment.

The C/weight shaft is "locked" with the black lever on the Dec housing... on mine it seems to be pretty solid....

Need to revisit Astro Baby's page and see if the rear Dec c/w housing can/ could be modified for even better rigidity....

The idea of putting a camera on the other end of the Dec shaft has been around for years.

I think that the differential flexure along the shaft would be a problem for auto-guiding at one end, and imaging at the other. Ideally you want your guide scope and imaging scope to be as close and tight as possible.

/callum

I agree. We used to get some great photos from 200mm lenses.

I think the 18mm c/weight shaft is pretty rigid, and if the support "platform" was positioned not at the end of the shaft like the TS solution but up at the Dec housing there would be little if any flexing between the two scopes.....

Archived