Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Case for a Skymak 150

Well the one I saw went for £180 (+ £20 for postage) just ota and dove tail no diagonal etc!

It's wasnt listed as skywatcher...just skymax...

That was the one. The lack of diagonal and finder probably put some people off, but I have a few spare so it was not a problem. I was expecting a flurry of late bids even in the final seconds so was quite susprised that I won. So now I need a case / bag for it. I found a DeWalt tool bag for my Meade series 5000 80 that fitted the foam lining almost perfectly but I want something more substantial for the mak.

Peter

You can buy the real thing from most Skywatcher dealers but it depends how ridiculously good your price was. You don't want to pay more for the case than the scope!

RVO have one for example at Skymax-150 Pro Case | Telescopes | Rother Valley Optics

Pelican cases are good and people like Maplin sell cases with foam inserts that can be adapted to your needs.

I'm sure there are plenty of other places that folks can suggest.

Geoff

Yes for the Astronomer on a budget the carrier bag is invaluable and versatile, scope carrier...accessories pouch.....lense case....and sandwich/thermos transportation are all covered by the honourable plastic friend. Also for those of you that may be fashion orientated there are many different designs, Topman/Burtons Miss Selfridge for the ladies! to name but a few and if you are worried about knocking your scope whilst transporting I find a few pairs of old socks/underpants thrown into said bag will create a nice buffer zone!

Some times we over look the obvious....as my grandad used to say...."Down there for dancing...up there for thinking" never found out what he meant as he was hit and killed by the Number 27 bus whilst dancing down the main road?

Ok.....Well what you need is high density foam...and you can then use any case, box or carrier bag you can get your mits on!

But it depends on if you want it to look cool and professional or not! £80 gets yo uthe real deal aluminium jobby! Don't you know of anyone that's into woodwork that could whittle you up a case of the right dimensions then just get some foam to give you the custom fit?

I use a black and decker toolbox, bought from B&Q for £20, for my 90mm Burgess APO. It's 8"/200mm deep and close to 9"/220mm wide. Not sure what size you'd need. That may be a bit tight?

I'd pop into such a store with a tape measure and you should find something similar.

Pic before better fitting foam was added

3757285793_0017f132fd.jpg

Cheers,

Andy.

I use a black and decker toolbox, bought from B&Q for £20, for my 90mm Burgess APO. It's 8"/200mm deep and close to 9"/220mm wide. Not sure what size you'd need. That may be a bit tight?

I'd pop into such a store with a tape measure and you should find something similar.

Pic before better fitting foam was added

Cheers,

Andy.

The tube is 400 x 183mm dia so there is not much room for padding down the sides.

Peter

The tube is 400 x 183mm dia so there is not much room for padding down the sides.

Peter

Yeah.

Ideal for short refractors or smaller maks tho. Shows you don't need to splash the big bucks, if you don't want to.

Cheers,

Andy.

Archived