NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Glasgow

Lensman

Hello to all.

I first became interested in astronomy many years ago. Back then telescopes were very expensive, relatively speaking, and I had to resort to cobbling telescopes together using things like plastic drain pipes and thick cardboad tubes, with the mirrors being purchased from the likes of Charles Frank in Glasgow. Terrible wobbly things but lots of fun.

More recently I became actively involved in Astronomy again, and last year got hold of a Meade LX90 8" SCT which which I've had some really amazing views.

I have enjoyed looking through the SGL forums and must say I'm really impressed with the depth of knowledge you all have. I have learned a lot reading through them. Thanks to you all.

Wishing you all Clear Skies

Cheers

Frank

Hi Frank.

Ahhh Charles Frank. Now there's a blast from the past !!

I can remember a meade 8" sct in the window of an opticians(I think?) on Buchanan Street many years ago. Always made me drool. Quiggs camera shop in Parnie Street always had a window with nice astro optics and bincs in. A few years back it had a 15x110 military russian bino in it. Looked like it had come off a T-34 tank !!

There's quite a lot of Central Belt'ers on these forums.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Frank.

Ahhh Charles Frank. Now there's a blast from the past !!

I can remember a meade 8" sct in the window of an opticians(I think?) on Buchanan Street many years ago. Always made me drool. Quiggs camera shop in Parnie Street always had a window with nice astro optics and bincs in. A few years back it had a 15x110 military russian bino in it. Looked like it had come off a T-34 tank !!

There's quite a lot of Central Belt'ers on these forums.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Not sure how far you go back, but I can remember an 8.5" Newtonian Reflector with skeleton tube in a display window at Central Station.

I think Quiggs is now called Merchant City Cameras, but still has a range of telescopes, microscopes, binoculars, cameras and all sorts of optical goodies.

Cheers

Frank

Hi Frank and welcome to the forum.

I remember Charles Frank having a shop display at Glasgow Central station, just at the main entrance.

I can remember as a kid looking at the scopes and binoculars in the window display, and dreaming !

Hi Frank

A warm welcome to SGL.

You have a very nice scope in the LX90. I think that the Meade SCT's have great optics even though Meade's QA wasn't the best. I enjoyed mine whilst I had it - a good all-rounder for observing.

Steve

Archived