NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi All, please help

Lisa001

:) I am new to this.

I have had my telescope since November it is a Skymax 127 and haven't been able to work it properly, which has kind of put me off.

The last couple of nights have been really clear and haven't managed to get anywhere with it at all....

Have I bought the wrong telescope?

Alignment I guess, I am really impatient.

Also it is running on batteries and I the screen keeps fading. I have been told to get a power pack, do you think this will help?

But on a positive note I did get a great look at the moon! only it goes out of view in minutes, don't know how to get it to move with the object, this will be down to the fact I can't align it properly... hey ho, will have another bash tonight!

I really am desperate to see something special, just so I can be happy that I have acheived something with it! It cost my £354 too so you can imagine my dissapointment when I have spent all that money and still no luck.....

I did do some reasearch into buying a telescope, but I am a beginner with a capital B.... no clue at all, the interest it way up there though!

Hi and welcome to SGL, Lisa. :) Are you having a focus problem? Very often, new scope owners tend to turn the focus knob too quickly and pass the 'in-focus' position without realizing it.

Hi Talitha

I think I do turn the focus knob too quickly as well! Too heavy handed i guess...

I have been reading up on my 'beginners guide' to learn more on the night sky too, can't wait to start seeing them with this thing!

Lisa - you will have to align it to get it to track. There are plenty of 127 owners on here so maybe they can help with the power. I dont know what they run off normally but nbatteries can really suffer in the cold and it may be they just dont have enough oooomph.

I have a Nexstar 4 which is similar but not identical and if I put AA batteries in it they are gone in a few hours.

Buy a mains supply or a power pack for it. Be warned a power pack will be unusable if you charge it up and let it drain fully. The lead acid batteries simply do not take being fully discharged.

I am assuming that it is the Skymax with the Synscan goto not the EQ3-2.

Read through the alignment procedure and do it nice and steadily, and accurately. Think it is a Mak, will have a narrow field of view, so accuracy in setting up pays dividends.

Has the scope a finder scope attached, if so make sure that it is correctly aligned with the main scope. Basically point main scope at something distant then adjust finder to point at the same. Do it during the day.

What eyepieces did the scope come with. Start out with the longest one, possibly think of buying a cheap longer one. Helps to find things in the first place.

Stick a location on your signature, town or similar. Someone may be local enough to help.

If it is the goto please make a note of all settings and values you have entered. Just in case one is wrong.

Hi Lisa - welcome to the group.

Alignment is tricky first time round but believe me it's a piece of cake when you're used to it. Main things to think about:

1. Line up the finder with the main tube in daylight - use an object as far away as possible.

2. Set the tripod level and pointing roughly north - a compass will help.

3. Ensure the mount is set at the correct angle for your position on Earth (use Stellarium for this - its free to download).

4. Find the pole star and adjust the alt/az screws to point the mount at it. You may want to realign the finder to so it's dead center with the view in the scope on polaris. Fine tune the tube with the ra/dec controls.

Then you should be set to switch on and do an alignment with the goto (refer to instructions).

A power pack is a good idea - Maplins do a good cheap one (half the price of the astro ones). And ditto turn the focuser slowly lol

Hope that helps.

Hi Lisa, Welcome to SGL. I had the same problems when I got the Meade, it nearly got launched over the neighbours a couple of times. Stick with it, when it does go right it will be amazing! Once you get the knack it will be easier. I would also echo the advice about seeing if some one local can help, thats how I got mine sorted. Good Luck.

Archived