Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CD ROM problem

AndyMac

Any thoughts on this little mystery.

I run Windows 98 & earlier tonight uploaded two photo CD's I had scanned from commercial outfits from slides I took with my scope.

Each time I double click on the 'D' Drive, I get the message "D:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready." However if I load the CD player with either a CDROM taken from a magazine, or a music CD, everything works fine.

I phoned the processor that I had the latest photo CD done by & they confirmed that the CD should be compatible with my system.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem with my photo CD's? The one from Jessops used to work fine when I first got it back 3 years ago.

BTW when I right click & select 'properties' on the D Drive, I am told that that it is all used space, though the KB size is shown as zero! :)

I try what Rod and Daz have suggested.

1) Try the CD in other drives.

2) Make a copy of the disc using a brand of disc that you know your drive will play.

Those two steps should tell you where the problem is.

BTW you do have the right software to show the slides don't you? Some places use all sorts of weird file types, usually to stop people copying individual pictures from the slides (which is annoying considering they are your pictures!))

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the 'explore' option once I've got the CD's back.

A mate at work is trying them on his PC this evening. I've only got the two photo CD's & it seems to be a problem with both (though the Jessops one used to work fine when I first got it about 3 years ago).

Thanks again for all your input. :)

Archived