Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Plato craterlets

DaveGibbons

I had my 12" skywatcher dob out last night primarily for viewing the moon and mars. I was using a william optics binoviewer and a pair of barlowed 25mm Tals(older ones). When the dob was not imitating a sail with the cold northerly wind I had some superb views of the moon on the zenith. I was able to view directly 6 craterlets in Plato's floor with a hint of another. I was wondering how many you have seen and what with? Am I at the limit for a 12" scope. I know webcam shots can show a good deal more, but was really pleased to see 6 with the old eyes!

cheers

Dave

Dave,

I could make out 3-4 tiny white patches on the floor of Plato least night with my 6" refractor. I assumed these were linked to the craterlets but I could not make out the crater pits themselves due to the high angle of illumination.

I've seen, er , none. At the risk of hijacking the thread, DaveGibbons, can I ask what you need to make the binoviewer come to focus in the dob?

thanks

I use a Celestron 2x ultima barlow placed before the binoviewers , they will not come to focus without one not enough in travel otherwise.

Dave

I had the best view ever of the Plato craterlets (but had just cleaned my corrector plate - inside and out - and secondary mirror and somehow it all went back perfectly collimated). 3 were clearly visible at 70x mag. and could make out 5 at 140x mag. using a Celestron C11. Full moon is apparently one of the best times to observe them but of course you don't get any depth to craters. Also tried out a few Antares filters and they helped with contrast and definition, but made the moon some very odd colours.

I will check and get back to you, it was one of the hardest of the Lunar 100 for me using a 6" newt (tried about 10 different times with different EPs and filters at different phases), I now have a Meade SN10 but I have not yet counted the craterlets!

ALL the Lunar 100 visually! I have started to 'hit the hard ones' at 66/100 with a 5" refractor. The rest are either very close to the limb/need libration or are VERY small. Well done on the achievement, I trust you bought yourself a well earned beer afterwards!

Cheers

PEterW

Archived